Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: The adventures of Silly and Bone

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:58 am   The adventures of Silly and Bone

Hi everyone,
you probable know the situation, I was walking to the subway one day minding my own business when suddenly I saw a bunch of baby turtles sold at the side of the street... I'm not defending what I did, I knew it was wrong, and I didn't even have a kid with me I could blame it on. I walked around that day with my two turtles in a mini tank, came home at night and left them on a shelf for the cat to find and trow over. Cursed loudly, saved the two babies, locked them up inside the bathroom to find out my cat can open doors. Locked the cat in my sons room and even slept an hour or two.
The next morning, the turtles got the biggest tank the nearest animal shop carried as well as a basking area, two lamps and a basking area. After a week, I was a the vet with Silly, the smallest turtle whose eye had swollen shut and got him a shot of vitamin A. I ordered reptomine pellets for baby turtles and calcium powder, spent hours fretting over the little ones, particularly little Silly and failed to notice that the other turtle, Bone wasn't really eating... After two weeks of treatment and no improvement, I decided to also make a new appointment for both turtles, but found Bone dead in the tank on the morning of the appointment… I'm a bit angry with myself for not noticing how badly he was doing, Silly's symptoms were more noticeable so I concentrated on him. I had asked the vet if he would look at both turtles when I made the first appointment, but the secretary had made it clear it would be 100$ per turtle plus whatever treatment/medication was necessary, so I decided against taking Bone. Silly got a second injection and recovered against all odds, his swollen eye reopened after almost three weeks and the whole swelling seemed to be absorbed by what first looked like a tiny wart on his forehead. That "wart" grew over the course of 1.5 days and then came clean off, it was impressive to see. This was in the first days of June. The spot on his head has all cleared up, he seems to be growing daily and we love him dearly. I have one new worry about his shell though, he has little circles appearing on them, it doesn't look like the pictures of shell rot I've seen online, but I worry it might be the beginning of it.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce the little rascal here, I'll make a post tomorrow about his shell, when I can take a picture of it.
Good night!
JDora

Post Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:39 am   Re: The adventures of Silly and Bone

Welcome to the forum! How long have you had them? I think we all go through a lot of mistakes at the beginning. Please post pics when you can.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:30 pm   Re: The adventures of Silly and Bone

Thanks, I've had them about 2.5 month now, or rather I've had Silly that long, Bone died about a month ago. Here is a pic of the tank and of Silly.
Attachments
IMG_2905.jpg
Silly
IMG_2904.jpg
Tank setup
JDora

Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:54 am   Re: The adventures of Silly and Bone

Looks nice, but you might want to consider a few changes? First, the tank needs to on a real stable stand or table. Water is a little over 8lbs per gallon, so it can be very heavy. Much of the weight is along the bottom rim, and the bottom pane is usually tempered, so it really needs to be on a stand. Rocks smaller than his head should be removed... it traps a lot of waste in the water and can cause serious problem if he swallows it. Sand makes a pretty good substrate and the larger rocks look nice. The UVB lamp needs to be over the basking area. The UVB rays are absorbed by the skin when he basks, and it doesn't really penetrate the surface of the water.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.