Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: Rescued a RES

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:22 pm   Rescued a RES

Hi, I'm new to the forum and I really just stumbled upon it. I have spent about 4 days reading thru it lol. I have had box turtles and painted turtles since I was little and the last one I had died about 5 years ago so I had been thinking about getting another turtle. But I just recently rescued a male RES from a lady that bought him 3 years ago for her grandkids and she basically begged me to take him cause she said her grandkids don't want him anymore. It's the typical crap from people u know? They want the turtle when they are little then when they get bigger they could care less. Anyways, I have had Mikey about a month and he is still somewhat skiddish and I'm still trying to get a bigger tank for him, and all that he really needs but for now he is doing great. I live in Northern Alabama so it's already hot here and I either let him go outside in a big rubbermaid tub with water in it and rocks or a log to bask on or when he needs to dry out if he hasn't been basking as much as he should I take him outside and put him in my kids old pack and play that I cleaned very good and soaked in water for about 3 days to make sure was even more clean, or when I'm just sitting outside j let him walk around our backyard and he likes to dig and bury himself in grass and pine needles. We'll he buries his shell and then sticks his legs and head out lol. But I just wanted to introduce myself and Mikey since we're new. My 3 year old son of course name him after a ninja turtle and we ended up calling him Mikey. I know I know it's so normal lol, but my son was sooooo excited about us getting a turtle that I let him name him.
1 RES 6" Mikey
2 Angelfish
2 yellow pond loaches (they are very aggressive)
Amberkay20

Post Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:55 pm   Re: Rescued a RES

Sounds like you and Mikey are doing great so far! He should get used to you, especially when he associates you with food, but there will always be some skittishness.

Does he have enough shade? That might explain why he's burying himself. Oh, and welcome to the forum!
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:48 pm   Re: Rescued a RES

Oh he definitely has enough shade. He buries himself sometimes as soon as he touches the grass. I think it makes him feel a little more secure since he is still getting used to his new environment. I also have been really wanting to get a land turtle. U know like a box turtle or what I really want is a tortoise BAD!!! But I have no idea where to go about buying one or anything.
1 RES 6" Mikey
2 Angelfish
2 yellow pond loaches (they are very aggressive)
Amberkay20

Post Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:59 am   Re: Rescued a RES

Some are just picky about having the right conditions. Any sort of new turtle... best to be looking at what's native to your area.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.