Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: Hi there

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:24 pm   Hi there

Hey everyone! My name is Becca and my little companion is Ish Ka which means Water in Celtic Irish. He's 8 months old and a little over 2 inches long i believe I really haven't beeb able to messaure him cause he's hyper.
Im 23 will be 24 in July and im a senior in college in the great state of Kentucky GO EAGLES!!!! (HEY! its my school's mascot whatya think I was gonna say? GO WILDCATS? I can LOL but I won't) Since I'm in a dorm room I don't have much room but I do have him in a 10 Gal tank and he's really happy there. I'll be moving out soon and my turtle will be moving with me to Lexington
Anything else you wanna know ask I might tell you. :wink:
College_Turtle

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:16 pm   

Welcome Becca! :D
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:21 am   

Hi Becca.

I hail from Cape Breton, NS, Canada. We're deeply rooted in Celtic language and tradition. there's a waterfall near my home thats called Ish Ka Ban falls. And... welcome to the forum!
bradhart

Post Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:25 pm   hi

thats cool. My friend that lives in Cork, Ireland told me about the name. I'm really interested in my Irish background so I thought it was fitting for my roommate.
College_Turtle

Post Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:27 pm   Hello

Hi Everyone!
We are proud keepers of our first turtle. We purchased it yesterday (Amory RR Festival) and welcome all comments re 1st timers. Our turtle's name is Franklin:) I hope for long life for little fellow! By the way, we are from Mississippi-
momof4

Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:41 am   

Hey, i'm from KY too! I graduated from UofL. GO CARDS!! (yes, for people unfamiliar with Louisville, we were the ones in the final four!!) My 2 sisters went to UK. Congrats on finishing college!!
tissigirl

Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:12 pm   

Hey, it seems like everyone here is from the east coast! I'm way over here in california!
Nadia

Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:09 pm   hi there

Lousiville is an alright place the zoo and kentucky kingdom are fun :D how many turtles do you have? I think they make awsome pets I wish i had gotten one eariler
College_Turtle

Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:14 am   

I only have one baby turtle, and I've only owned it for a week!
Nadia

Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:44 pm   

Hi eveyone. I am new here to. I have had my little guys (one is 1.5 the other 2") for 4 days. They are sooooo cute, they have stolen my heart. I am like a paraniod mommy tho....i am worried about making sure that I do everything right for them.

I am also in California, so Nadia you are not alone!! :D
Turtle_angel

Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:56 pm   

Oops I didn't say anything about myself.

I am 32 years old and have a 5 year old son. He will be six in a couple of weeks. (he just keeps growing :roll: ) The turtles were actually for him and he helps drop the food in the tank for them. He loves to watch them and says hi, good bye and good night to them.

I live currently in Simi Valley, California, but will be moving in August/Sept. to Port Hueneme Naval Base, California. My Fiance is a Seabee in the Navy. I am currently working for a lighting rental comaony in Hollywood, but will be leaving there when we move and stay home to spend more time with my son. I am soooo excited that I can't wait to be a stay home mom. (will probably still get a part-time job during the day...or I will go stir crazy).

I love this site and have received a lot of very helpful advice. Thank you all for setting this up. :!:
Turtle_angel

Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:53 pm   

welcome! glad to have everyone aboard!
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:14 am   question

umm what exactly is a seabee? i have friends in the navy and i never heard them say anything like that before? But then again im not too famuilar with navy terms...actually im just starting to learn a few of the air force slang. Its funny im not meant to know this stuff apprtently its not coming to me easy. Thanks......glad your son loves the turles. I talk to Ish ka all the time. I think he likes it when i talk to him he seems to get excited when i walk towards his tank. He knows his mommy.
College_Turtle

Post Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:21 pm   

The seabees are the construction branch of the Navy. They work more with the marines. They don't do the ship thing. They are builders, mechanics, welders, electricians. They set up the camps, build roads, bridges. They rebuilt a lot of bridges in Iraq after they were blown up. They also built a lot of schools over there and helped train Iraqi contractors so that they can build things themselves. They are often sent on humanitarian jobs, like after the Tsunami.

It is not surprising that many people have not heard about them, they don't tend to get much coverage, or if they do the media lumps them into the marines. They have been around since WW II, 1942.

I talk to the turtles all the time. The little one (Sally) is settling well. He doesn't run into the water, just looks at me. And he is much calmer when we hold him. Junior is still a bit skiddish. Just takes time. :)
Turtle_angel

Post Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:24 pm   

oh ok thats cool. Ish Ka doesn't like it when i turn the light off he'll sleep in the water. he use to run into the water when i came around but he's use to being in a dorm room where people come in and out all the time so its good now.
College_Turtle

Next

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.