Urgent Care :: Turtle shell is white but maybe not shell rot ?

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:08 am   Turtle shell is white but maybe not shell rot ?

Hi guys.

I have 2 female red eared sliders and a male African side neck. I’m
Guessing all about the age of 4, they were gifted to me. So long story short one of my females has been experiencing these persistent white spots on her shell for almost a year now. I’ve taken her to two different vets about 6 months apart worried it was shell rot and they both insisted that she was fine. But it just doesn’t look right! At first her exited were shedding and breaking off in the areas with white, now it’s just white spots and no shedding. Like I said I keep trying to take her to the vet and they keep saying she’s fine but now my other female slider is getting it too. The spots are not soft either, they are hard but the shell seems kinda thinning. Idk if it’s water quality because I’m in San Diego and the water is really hard here. But they have a 180 gallon tank, kept between 78-80 degrees always, they have UV B and a basking light and basking dock. Their water gets changed or replenished almost weekly. They get some spinach, mostly pellets and sometimes they get rosies. I also have filtration. They all act like normal healthy turtles, no behavioral changes at all, and a very healthy appetite. So idk why this is happening but I included some photos below. Please take a look.

Thanks!!!
Attachments
FD198D02-FD54-4A9F-9C62-02A4CDC93457.jpeg
D52AB077-F2C7-41C3-B4BE-80B40BD46975.jpeg
340C8AB8-B5BF-49E6-A452-B0231790259C.jpeg
Mhanna

Post Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:17 am   Re: Turtle shell is white but maybe not shell rot ?

It's fungus. The vet offered no diagnosis? You should find treatment info and some pics here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10839
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:35 pm   Re: Turtle shell is white but maybe not shell rot ?

Yes! Two exotic vets at different hospitals in San Diego both said she was fine. I feel terrible. But the solutions you posted look hopeful so I will try those! Thank you so much!
Mhanna

Post Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:49 am   Re: Turtle shell is white but maybe not shell rot ?

Great, keep up updated. If you choose to get Silver Sulfadiazine Cream, you will need a prescription for it in most places.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care