Urgent Care :: Turtle not eating please help!!!!!

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:56 pm   Turtle not eating please help!!!!!

Well I just got a baby turtle he is a male and hasent been eating at all.
I have had him before July 4 th and still no sighns of eating :(
I am awfully worried about him he is moving around the tank fine I feed
him (ReptoMin Baby turtle food) and he won't eat it!!!!!!
I know that I have read on other sights about how when you first get a Red Eared slider turtle (Baby) they may not eat for weeks or months!!!!!
I just don't know wats wrong with him do u think hes got an eating disorder?Please some help!!!
buddys_my_turtle

Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:03 pm   

A new turtle may not eat at first, but to not eat for weeks or months (really?) is entirely too long.

What is the temp of the water and basking area? If the water is too cool, he'll become inactive and not eat. A water temp of 78F is good for a healthy hatchling.

Are his eyes swollen at all? Any other symptoms such as bubbles from the nose or mouth when he basking? Open-mouth breathing? Wheezing? Tilting in the water? If so, he sounds like he may have a respiratory infection. If you think he has one, increase the water temp to about 81-82F and the basking area to around 91F. Taking him to a herp vet if would be good if he is sick.

If he doesn't seem to have any of the above symptoms, make sure the temps are are first suggested above. Try to get him eating with some smelly foods--bits of tuna or sardines packed in water, for example.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:05 pm   

I had the same problem for about two weeks right after getting my baby. I read all the feeding topics and tried everything but nothing helped. So finally someone suggested freeze dried shrimp to lure him into eating. They are usually just for a treat, but I started out with a few of them mixed with a couple of the repto sticks. That did the trick for my guy. Each day I decreased the shrimp and increased the sticks and he never noticed and is still eating fine. It took him a while to eat the veggies and lettuce but finally he is doing that as well. Just keep offering him things. He should come around soon.
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:36 pm   

Thankyou and the temp. is 78F is the temp. of my water and I have a 75w Basking Light.He does yawn and is active always swimming at the glass and occasionally swims around the tank.Also do you put the tuna in the water or on the land?And I will try the frozen shrimp!!!!
buddys_my_turtle

Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:07 pm   

turtles need the food in the water they have no salava glands. good luck
Don't put a question mark (?) where God has already put a period (.)!
lydia_lady_fla

Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:16 pm   

Something like tuna I would put on the basking dock so it doesn't make a mess of the water. Either way the turtle once it has a mouthful can dive into the water to eat it.
Dylan ~17~, Brianna~14~ Ethan ~10~ Ava ~4~
flutterby

Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:28 pm   

have you tried live small fish?? guppies are good i haad the same problem with my little one and i tried almost everything then i heard about small live fish. i did that and first he was :shock: but then he ate them. new turtle might not eat for a while. let him get adjusted to his new home.
Vivi

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:46 am   

No I havent tried guppies or any small fish. I have been thinking of getting guppies for buddy.For the frozen shrimp do you have to put it on the basking area or just in the water?Also sorry for so many questions and I do thank you for your help but if any one feeds their turtle ReptoMin baby turtle food do you give them a half or a full pellet?I don't know how to thankyou for all your help but by saying thanks :D .
buddys_my_turtle

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:02 am   

They're the freeze dried shrimp you get at the petstore, those you can put right in the water.
flutterby

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:13 pm   

Thats wat I am going to do.But can the tuna be canned?
buddys_my_turtle

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:22 pm   

Yes but it has to be packed in water NOT oil.
flutterby

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:47 pm   Thank YOU!!!!!!

Thankyou so much everyone."Flutterby"I put the tuna in their and he went for it I am so happy I just put it and BAM he ate it.I don't know how to thank you but thankyou so much I am so happy!!!!!WOW now he wants to take the whole thing into the water.AND HE DID and I don't think I have ever seen him act that way!!!!!!Thank you so much everyone thanks!!!!!!now all I have to do is get him hooked on real fish and peelets :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D :) :) :) :) WOW THANK YOU FOR EVERYONES HELP AT LEAST NOW I CAN SLEEP!!!!!!
buddys_my_turtle

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:59 pm   

Just be careful not to be feeding him only tuna. mix some pellets in it, or just put the water from the tuna on the pellets to get him to start eating other foods. Too much protein isn't good for them, it will make them grow too fast and could result in any number of problems. You want slow steady growth.. not quick and fast.

I'm glad he's eating :)
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Return to Urgent Care