Urgent Care :: help, turtle has not eaten for a week

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:09 pm   

That's a good UVB bulb. The ones that have caused eye problems in the past are reptisun compact fluorescents, a different brand.

That's too bad about not eating. He can't get better if he won't eat. what about the antibiotics? Have you had any success getting them into the turtle using the technique the vet used?
SpotsMama
SpotsMama
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:28 pm   

well i just got them yesterday, so this morning would be my first administering it. like i said though, i think i got sort of enough. i believe it was supposed to be 0.01 mL of novo-trimel, maybe i got half in i dunno

but i was told it also takes time for them to usually get better. so for it to get its appetite back overnight... would be foolish. hard to fathom going a whole week almost 2 already without eating anything x_x

again here are some photos i just took, you can clearly tell the one outstretched basking is healthy, while the other one isn't. look at hte closeup of one of them, one of its eyes were closed, as it frequently opens and closes its eyes while basking

sacrilegious

Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:43 pm   

Oh gosh the little sick one looks so sad. I'll keep him in my thoughts. Maybe the antibiotics will do the trick.
SpotsMama
SpotsMama
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:14 am   

Pedialyte is much better than Gatorade. Have you tried live foods yet (earthwoms, guppies, minnows)? I would even try Gammarus or canned tuna or even raw shrimp.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:37 am   

SpotsMama wrote:Oh gosh the little sick one looks so sad. I'll keep him in my thoughts. Maybe the antibiotics will do the trick.

thanks, although i tried giving the novo trimel this morning, and for 30 mins i tried to get it to open its mouth, tap its beak, and nothing.... so i guess when i get home from work i'll have to try again. unless someone can advise me of a way to get it to open its mouth another way

as far as the pedialyte, i just googled searched it. are you sure this stuff is for reptiles? seems a little more extreme than gatorade, but it's for children right? i haven't tried feeding live stuff or worms yet, but i may see if i can find something on weekend. but regardless, i've tried dangling food in front of it, and even used the tuna fish water on pellet thing yesterday and still it wont open it's mouth for it. it see's the food, just won't go for it...
sacrilegious

Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:00 am   

I don't know if this is a good idea or not, but can you try using a toothpick to gently pry his mouth open? Maybe use one of those toothpicks that have a flat rounded end or cut off the sharp tip first. Poor little guy. :( I hope he gets better.
DavidY

Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:26 pm   

thanks, though i was reassued with vet this morning that just keep doing it that way. i just feel uncomfortable poking and proding its head while already grabbing its neck by my fingers already, as ive never handled animals like that

i found this link http://www.turtlecare.net/eating.htm, pretty helpful, it does confirm most of what i've heard, i think i'll try to follow and hope for the best
sacrilegious

Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:31 pm   

hi sacrilegious,
if you live in canada and if you happen to live in or around the toronto area, i have a really good vet that i would recommand to you. my vet is REALLY knowlegable in reptiles.
kc

Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:01 pm   

i live actually in Mississauga area, if you're talking about High Park vet i already called there

and i think im allright with vets now, unless something truly goes wrong

for the record i tried giving the antibiotic and i think i was semi successful, but before that it was a struggle to open its mouth i think i made the turtle sore pushing its arms and legs, strethching the head and everything. at one point i saw a lot of mucous and runny nose... i think that should say enough it is RI? -_-
sacrilegious

Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:37 pm   

Well that's good you were able to get the antibiotic into him - he has to have it if he's going to make it. If it makes him feel better then he'll want to eat and then you can give it to him in his food. Any interest yet in food?
SpotsMama
SpotsMama
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:10 pm   

nope, none at all, still the usual... bask under the light most of the night, then float and dangle around in water during day... eyes closign a lot now

still not sure if i got a lot of the antibiotic... like 1 or not even a drop it was hard to do, and im not usually a patient guy looks like i'll have to wait for it to "take effect"....
sacrilegious

Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:59 pm   

powerofvoodoo wrote:sillyleisl--I think you completely missed the part where he DID take the turtle to the vet and the turtle is currently being treated for a vit A, vit D, and calcium deficiency.
What's done is done and the turtle does have meds so all is well. =)

:oops: I did...oh the dangers of posting late at night!
Leisl
Max- Lab mix
Wally- Shar pei mix
Sugar and Candy -my first suggies
Turtlette (Sweet Girl)-RES
Fibonacci-the golden mystery snail
sillyleisl

Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:31 am   

hi,
actually i wasn't refering to the high park vet. when my turtle stopped eating for 3 months, i searched all reptile vets in or around the GTA, then i found my vet.
i'll share with you incase you'll ever need it.
the name is: the links road animal and bird clinic.
it's near yonge and 401. if you google the name, you should find it.
i only paid $80 instead of the $90 you had at high park. and as i said, they are REALLY knowledgeable.

if you have gone to the vet and the vet did not say anything major, then it's probably not major. for one thing i know, those little ones are really hard to take care of, and when they don't feel very good, they bask A LOT. i find it works better by using a halogen light rather than a regular light bulb.
- one RES named Luvia-Solana
- one false map named Chestnut
kc

Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:27 am   

kc wrote:hi,
actually i wasn't refering to the high park vet. when my turtle stopped eating for 3 months, i searched all reptile vets in or around the GTA, then i found my vet.
i'll share with you incase you'll ever need it.
the name is: the links road animal and bird clinic.
it's near yonge and 401. if you google the name, you should find it.
i only paid $80 instead of the $90 you had at high park. and as i said, they are REALLY knowledgeable.

if you have gone to the vet and the vet did not say anything major, then it's probably not major. for one thing i know, those little ones are really hard to take care of, and when they don't feel very good, they bask A LOT. i find it works better by using a halogen light rather than a regular light bulb.

no i don't go to high park either as that is 30 mins drive away fromm y place, but their initial assessment is $60 followed by $40. the place where i went was Britannia Animal Hospital and i got charged $90 first visit, and $60 subsequent. my initial posts in this thread got me all riled up cuz of this and how the first visit did nothing but say change the husbandry, but because my 2nd visit was much better and i got more info and the meds out of it i'll leave it to this place unless i have to go multiple times, since it is 2 mins from my place. i also called Links as well to check on their times and prices, almost same deal like you said and its far from my place

can i quickly ask? you said your turtle got sick for 3 months and did not eat. but did it exhibit normal functions still? ie: submerge to swim in deep water too?, bask normally with its head and legs outstretched? behave normal and active minus the eating?
sacrilegious

Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:47 pm   

hi sacrilegious,
yes my big turtle did not eat for 3 months sometmes last year during christmas. my turtle did not eat but yes, as you said, exhibit normal functions. still swim, awake and alert. i initially thought she ate gravel, which i HAD at the time. so i took her to the vet and the vet did a check up and she was fine, no gravel in her stomach. Because i always feed them nutrafine max(however you spell it), which contains calcium, and since she didn't eat for 3 months, the the part of the shell just above the tail was becoming soft, as the vet indicated to me. i went back home, and bumped the water temp up to about 23 celcius and a week later she started begging for food again!

sounds like the things are you are experincing right now, i have experienced before. let me know if i can be more of a help.
- one RES named Luvia-Solana
- one false map named Chestnut
kc

PreviousNext

Return to Urgent Care