Urgent Care :: RES eating rocks

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:50 am   Re: RES eating rocks

When you setup the new tank please do some homework on proper habitat. Make it "Safe" for Clarence !!! Give more time and attention to setting it up. Turtles are very curious animals and will test things just like a child with there mouth. Safety first ! One day Clarence will have a blockage and a Vet will be needed... Turtles can live for 50 plus years Please give Clarence that chance.

Diet : 10 stick AM , 10 in the PM for a 5" turtle is a poor diet and will lead to health problems. Clarence should be on 50-70 % veggies. Please read feeding list and any comments that go with them on this forum. It's our job to feed a captive turtle a well balance , varied , nutritious diet. The hollow head rule has worked for decades with the proper amount of veggies. Try it ,it works . Clarence is not a baby at 5" and needs a diet for a young adult , not all that protein a baby needs when fast growing.
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:17 am   Re: RES eating rocks

No, he will not eat any type the spinach we put in the tank, I'll try kale. I'll try to cut down his diet to once a day and give him fruits often ( he eats fruits )
ClarenceRES

Post Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:32 am   Re: RES eating rocks

Spinach is bad for a turtle and fruits should be used rarely !

Read this please : http://www.redearslider.com/plants.html
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:13 pm   Re: RES eating rocks

Thank you! Clarence will now have a proper diet.
ClarenceRES

Post Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:49 pm   Re: RES eating rocks

Now he get 5 pellets a day and green leaf lettuce, which he will eat tiny pieces of and spit it back out. Anyway i can make him eat all of it?
ClarenceRES

Post Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:55 pm   Re: RES eating rocks

Red leaf lettuce or romaine works better than green for me / Piggley and I also feed veggies first when he's the hungriest then any protein .
You can also put a piece of lettuce in tank so he can pick on if he wants during the day , just remove any uneaten at night so not to foul water. Never seen a fat turtle on veggies.

Clarence can you make a "NEW Topic" under feeding and nutrition // Kind of hijacked someone else's urgent problem / post.

This is to Not confuse original poster.
litefoot

Previous

Return to Urgent Care