Urgent Care :: exposed bone

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:05 pm   exposed bone

I'm not really sure where to post this. I have already started a topic regarding my turtle's shell and for the sake of sharing, I will keep everyone updated on her progress. For now, I have a few questions about exposed bone. I've been seeing some pics and reading some stories about others whose turtle's have had exposed bone. What causes this to happen exactly? Injury, disease, diet? If it's disease, what kind? I am interested in hearing from anyone who would care to share their experiences and outcomes with this issue. Thanks. :D
lovemyturtles

Post Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:53 pm   Re: exposed bone

I'd also add birth defects where the scute doesn't properly develop. I don't know what disease or infection causes whole scutes to come off leaving a boney layer, but it must be pretty scary for the turtle keeper especially in cases of sequestrum.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:00 am   Re: exposed bone

Shell Rot can leave the turtle's bare shell bones showing.

Does the area look white?

http://www.redearslider.com/major_illne ... uries.html

http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/medshell.htm

My Belize Slider had shell rot without me noticing. I was VERY lucky that she healed herself, but lost part of her marginal scutes on her shell.
1 F RES 9" (Kingler)
1 F Belize Slider 7" (Agamemnon)
My Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/condorboy1/videos
Linus

Post Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:52 pm   Re: exposed bone

Yes, it does look white. It's cream colored and I first noticed the patch after the edge of a scute curled upward. It's hard and looks smooth, so I can't tell if it's bone, scar tissue from a previous injury (don't know much about her history), or if it's a natural color pattern. It just looks odd to me, especially in comparison to my other turtle, who appears "text-book" healthy.

I've taken measures to correct her habitat after acquiring her. I provide her with uvb, basking area, adequate temps, and good nutrition but she has lots of retained scutes and some flaky stuff on her plastron.

Since I have no idea what it is, I've decided to seek veterinary intervention. Retained scutes are a real pain in the neck and since it looks like she may have missed about four sheds, I am guessing that is the reason why her plastron looks flaky and white. I was hoping she just needed to shed but I think it might be more than that.

I've been trying to help her at home but I haven't seen much progress. Her condition hasn't worsened but it certainly isn't better.

Thanks for responding!!!
lovemyturtles

Return to Urgent Care