Urgent Care :: RES Shell issue

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:57 pm   RES Shell issue

Hello, My turtle, Slider, is about 6 inches long and we've had him for almost 4 years. His shell has been like this for awhile but I think its been getting worse. I used to just assume it was some sort of mineral deposits on his shell since our water is very hard. However, I don't think this is the case anymore and i wanna correct the problem.

The temperature of the water is around 80 F, which I believe is too hot but this is not what it is normally. It is usually around 75 -78. I am not using a water heater. The tanks is able to hold 40 gallons but we only have it filled 2/3 of the way. I am using a water conditioner and i have two filters, one one each side of the tank. I also have a basking light as well as a UVB light, although i was just recently able to acquire one. (never had a uvb light in tank, usually take outside). Ive also switched his diet to include more greens instead of pellets. Just today he ate some romaine lettuce and carrots. He is a very active turtle and is always swimming around.

I've attached four pictures that illustrates my concern. I haven't been able to find any similar pictures online so I am now hoping you guys may be able to help. Thanks for any assistance you may offer.
Attachments
ddsdsds.jpg
sddd.jpg
tmcgh

Post Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:06 pm   Re: RES Shell issue

I'd probably try to clean up the shell first. Has your turtle shed? It mostly looks like what I would call "bacterial scoring".
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:37 pm   Re: RES Shell issue

I think it might be in the process of shedding, some parts of the shell are peeling but he has had this on him for awhile. How would you clean the shell? How would I prevent this bacterial scoring?
tmcgh

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:14 am   Re: RES Shell issue

Get a new toothbrush and gently scrub, then rinse. You can use something like Hibiclens or Betadine mixed with some water during scrubbing. The scoring usually goes away after one or two sheds,
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care