Urgent Care :: Help Please.... Already seen Vet

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:56 pm   Help Please.... Already seen Vet

I have a 1 year old red ear earred slider 16 days ago my daughter turned the air conditioner on down to 50 degrees. It was freezing in my house. None the less Buddy got sick. Hes gotten sick before but with enroflaxin and 84 degree water temp would get better. I would give him cod liver oil to amp up vita min A. I took him to the vet wednesday 5 days ago got enroflaxin and checked out he weighs 130grams.
Well now im freaking out hes still not better still cant see and hasnt eaten in 16 days. Im ready to drive him 1 hour to an emergency vet in Akron. I tried cod liver oil on his eyes a few drops every other couple days. I have scrubbed his tank clean soaked his accesorries. Have a water conditioner with calcium stones and a heat lamp and uvb bulbs with 2 water heaters and a temp gauge. No filter. 3 water changes a week about 10-15 gallons in a 30 gallon tank. Enroflaxin isnt helping. And im afraid going on day 17 with no food hes going to die please someone tell me if he will be ok or how long your turtles have hmgone without eating. Can he survive. If i take him out of the tank and just put him in a bowl he seems to do better. Wants to at least try to open his eyes. What do I do???? :msgreen:
Turtlebuddy

Post Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:16 am   Re: Help Please.... Already seen Vet

How is the Enroflaxin being administered? What form is it in? Was it prescribed?

Not sure what you're trying with the calcium stones and cod liver oil. Can he open his eyes? Keep the water consistently warm, and try some live prey... minnows, guppies, earth worms.

Under supervision, try a soak in a small container of warm water, mixed with unflavored Pedialyte. Add in some crumbled up pellets so might drink some it.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:16 pm   Re: Help Please.... Already seen Vet

Enroflaxin is prescribed by vet administered with a dropper syringe thing. Hard to get him to ingest. He cant open his eyes to see. Called the vet to see if we could do injections but hes out of town for a week. Im loosing it. He cant eat live prey he cant see to eat. Poor guy im scared to death he isnt going to make it. What do i have to do to get his eyes open to eat. Im freaking out. Someone please tell me how long he can go without eating.
Turtlebuddy

Post Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:18 pm   Re: Help Please.... Already seen Vet

Turtlebuddy wrote:Enroflaxin is prescribed by vet administered with a dropper syringe thing. Hard to get him to ingest. He cant open his eyes to see. Called the vet to see if we could do injections but hes out of town for a week. Im loosing it. He cant eat live prey he cant see to eat. Poor guy im scared to death he isnt going to make it. What do i have to do to get his eyes open to eat. Im freaking out. Someone please tell me how long he can go without eating.
Turtlebuddy

Post Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:56 am   Re: Help Please.... Already seen Vet

If he can't see, then he won't eat. If the cod liver oil isn't working, then he doesn't have a vitamin A deficiency. I would try Pedialyte soak mentioned above and if possible, look for a new vet.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care