Urgent Care :: My turtle can't open her mouth to eat

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:17 am   My turtle can't open her mouth to eat

How big is your turtle? around 18 cm
How long have you had it? 15 years

What is the water temperature? room temperature
Did you use a thermometer? No
Are you using a water heater? No
How much water is in there? slightly above her body.
Are you using a water conditioner? No
Are you using any filtration? Yes

What is the basking temperature? not sure
Is there a basking light? No
Is there a basking platform that is easy to climb on? Yes
What kind is it or what is it made out of? Rocks.
Is there a UVB light? No

What have you been trying to feed it? turtle food/ food given by vet.
When was the last time your turtle ate? few minutes ago

Is the tank near a window? Yes
Is the tank in a room with a lot of activity? No.

Have you read the Basic Care section? Yes
Have you searched the forums for similar situations? Yes. Saw the below threat but didn't seem to state the outcome.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9798&start=0

- My red ear slider is currently pregnant. She has around 10 eggs in her and has yet to give birth.. However, I realized that similar to the above threat.. my turtle seems to not being able to open her mouth wide open to eat.. She wants to eat the food infront of her.. but having problem opening her mouth fully.

- There is also some sort of clicking sound when she tries to open his mouth.. initially we thought she is having a sore throat.

- She is not as active, unlike before.. Currently we will have to feed her by putting the food directly into her mouth.

- Went to see a vet.. but apparently the vet couldn't tell the reason behind.. We managed to find out that she is pregnant through the vet.

Any idea what might be the reason behind ? Is it life threatening? It has been like that for around 3 weeks.
FunToast

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:38 am   Re: My turtle can't open her mouth to eat

Any visible injury or cut? Does she act like she's in distress? It is pretty unusual, so this could be life threatening if not resolved.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:38 am   Re: My turtle can't open her mouth to eat

there's no injury or cut.. yes, she looks like she's in distress.. but i've no idea what's going on.. planning to bring her to another vet. Any other idea what might be the case?
FunToast

Post Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:49 am   Re: My turtle can't open her mouth to eat

Wish you luck. Most regular vets always seem to say give it a shot , a vitamin shot , not familiar with turtles. Hope this next vet is a Herp Vet specialized in reptiles. Good luck for you two.
litefoot

Return to Urgent Care