Urgent Care :: Sponge a Turtle?

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:06 am   Sponge a Turtle?

My Turtle fell today and cracked her shell. I already took her to the vet and they said they are not going to close the shell because it might become infected. They did wrap my turtle in a bandage and told me she couldn't go in water but that I should sponge her twice a day. She has antibiotics and I know how to give her those. Right now I'm confused on sponging my turtle and keeping her hydrated. Am I wetting the flesh parts of turtle? How long? How will she drink? Can I drip the water over her (not the bandage obviously) or do I need an actual sponge? Also they want me to keep her warm do I leave the basking light on at night for her as well or is just the day time fine. I have a night basking light but I don't want to start a fire. Her new container is in a weird spot because I don't want the cat or dog to be able to get to her and I cant empty her tank because fish live with her.

Thank you.
sa5mmm

Post Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:37 am   Re: Sponge a Turtle?

Perhaps hold her and tilt her head into water? You probably don't need to sponge her other areas. How high was her fall? How bad was the crack? Any bleeding? I'm not too familiar with bandages and turtles... they can easily come off and get dirty, and there are waterproof patches as well.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:57 am   Re: Sponge a Turtle?

Last edited by sa5mmm on Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sa5mmm

Post Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:04 am   Re: Sponge a Turtle?

Was the vet a reptile/exotics/herp vet? Is the picture before or after the visit?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:30 pm   Re: Sponge a Turtle?

That was before. Here is an after. https://postimg.org/image/dlkyd949n/
Poor turtle though she hissed Stu me when I picked her up to take her
sa5mmm

Post Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:15 pm   Re: Sponge a Turtle?

Did the vet give you extra directions? When do the bandages need to be changed?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:46 am   Re: Sponge a Turtle?

I called them today and they said to sponge the shell specifically without wetting the bandages and that I could try to wet her face and legs but that they are more concerned with her shell staying moist. I already have an appointment set for next week for them to check up on her and they will decide if she is well enough to have her shell closed up.
sa5mmm

Post Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:04 am   Re: Sponge a Turtle?

I think she would need to drink but keeping the injured area dry is very important.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care