Urgent Care :: Turtle not eating

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:44 pm   Turtle not eating

My red earred slider underwent surgery for penis amputation last week. After that he is not eating well & he did not poop after that. In last 10days he pooped little only once. Please advise. I tried feeding him variety of food ...like Tuna, Shrimp, egg veggies etc
anchan

Post Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:00 pm   Re: Turtle not eating

Turtles take several days to recover from any surgery especially if anesthetized for the procedure.
"Not eating well" ----- but eating something?
"pooped little" ------ once
Only 10 days , keep trying small amounts as you are doing. May still have a little shock to his system from the surgery? The POOP ? I have given turtles with constipation mineral oil to help them poop. I soaked pellets in oil and feed. Humans / turtles have this problem after surgery. Also could try to soak in water a little warmer than tank water that sometimes helps. Also 50/50 water and pedialyte soaks for 30 minutes several times a day for some nutrition. BUT "PLEASE" Call Your Vet And Ask If Mineral Oil Would Be OK and the soaks if healed up well !!! ( DO AS HE/SHE SAYS ) "I am not a herp vet" never hurts to ask them. May say yes or no? Again , do as he /she says !
Have you talked to your Vet in the past 10 days?
Is your Vet a regular dog/cat vet or a Herp ( reptile / exotic ) Vet.
litefoot

Post Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:42 pm   Re: Turtle not eating

Is he on any antibiotics? Certain ones can suppress appetite.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care