Urgent Care :: Res baby not eating

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:46 pm   Res baby not eating

I've tried everything from crickets, mealworms, bloodworms, earth worms, rover shrimp, pellets, soft entree food, frozen cubes, romaine and still nothing. I have the water temp at 80. I also have a heat lamp, a docking station, river rocks on the bottom, a filter, live anarchis and hair grass. I'm not sure what to do to get her to eat. Any suggestions or advice? Anything I'm doing wrong?
Kreynolds1153

Post Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:50 pm   Re: Res baby not eating

Can you answer these questions in some detail , copy/paste here : viewtopic.php?t=2142
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:37 pm   Re: Res baby not eating

How big is your turtle? 2 inches
How long have you had it? 5 days

What is the water temperature? 78
Did you use a thermometer? Yes
Are you using a water heater? Yes
How much water is in there? 5 inches deep
Are you using a water conditioner? Yes
Are you using any filtration? Yes

What is the basking temperature? 81
Is there a basking light? Yes
Is there a basking platform that is easy to climb on? Yes
What kind is it or what is it made out of? Turtle dock
Is there a UVB light? Yes

What have you been trying to feed it? Pellets, bloodworms, mealworms, earthworms, crickets, shrimp, soft entree food, frozen cubes, romaine
When was the last time your turtle ate? Hasn't eaten anything at all

How big is the tank/pond/enclosure? 20 gallons
Is the tank near a window? No
Is the tank in a room with a lot of activity? No

Have you read the Basic Care section? Yes
Have you searched the forums for similar situations? Yes

Is there any other unusual activity/symptoms? No

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have a question about a skin or shell condition, please try provide pictures of the area when it is dry.

Directions on how to post a picture.

updated Sept 23, 2007
Kreynolds1153

Post Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:35 pm   Re: Res baby not eating

Looks like you are off to a good start on the habitat. Five days , it has to acclimate itself to his new home and to you. This is normal , he is scared and stressed out. Turn off heat bulb and UVB bulb at night to offer him a day / night cycle as in nature. Make a couple of hiding places in tank for him to feel safe. Also on the outside of tank block the sides and back say a big book or cardboard so when he 's on the basking area he feels safer. Keep offering food and he will take when he gets more comfortable. Once he recognizes you as the food source it will get better , have patience. Do not rush or push him into something he 's not ready for. All turtles have a different time table to adjust and it's worth it. Then he will never stop begging. Make sure to remove any uneaten food so not to foul tank. Observe closely he could be eating some plants , turtles are messy eaters you will see parts of plants floating , then he is getting something.
litefoot

Post Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:39 pm   Re: Res baby not eating

Does he bask? Does he have any privacy? I would try some live minnows (hold them by the tail) and try to entice him that way.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:22 pm   Re: Res baby not eating

I did miss one thing. You only have basking area 3* warmer than water. Water 78 and basking at 83 ! The basking "need" to be 10* warmer than water , so 88-90* for basking. The warmth helps in digestion and eating. May / will make a difference. Did you use any cardboard to give him privacy to feel more comfortable ?
Have a good thermometer ? I have a draw full of them even digitals , I only found the IR type to be accurate !
litefoot

Return to Urgent Care