Urgent Care :: My turtles foot was bitten off ?

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:52 am   My turtles foot was bitten off ?

Hey guys , so I bought a red ear slider about three or four months ago and recently bought another one a few days ago. i didnt really examine my new RES in the store but when I brought him home I noticed he was missing claws on both his right and left front and back legs, and his back leg has a large wound , almost as if it has been bitten off. At first I thought it was my older turtle fighting with my new on to show dominance or something, which would explain the wounds, but the wounds appears to be old like it may have happened in the pet store plus there wasnt any signs of blood or his claws in my tank.. My only concern is that if the wound is infected or has anything that could harm my other turtle, or weather the wound is so serious where I would need to take a trip to the vet. Or should I stop stressing so much and watch while it heals over with time. I added some photos, please tell me what you guys think, thank you
Ps. My turtles dont fight and they seem to be getting along fine whenever I watch them
Attachments
IMG_4374.jpg
IMG_4374.jpg (109.25 KiB) Viewed 4255 times
Victardson

Post Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:17 am   Re: My turtles foot was bitten off ?

From the pictures can not tell if infected or how old it may be from photo's not being very clear. See the no claws though. Can you get some pic's close up ? Sound more like a birth defect from your description . You could care for him and make sure he has a very good home he may need special care especially when eating they do tear there food up with the claws. Does he swim good ? Is he eating ? He may also need to be separated for that special care but I have seen at the Nature Center turtles with special need's have a happy life. They are just like a child with needs , if you can give him a chance to be happy and have a full life that would be great. You will have those frustrating day's and it will be hard but very much worth it . Most people always want more turtles especially when young and cute but find out down the road the must be separated like two males and have more cost. And if it's a female (12") she will need an adult home 120 gallons one day. A turtle does not need a room mate , they are very happy on there own.
Most good LPS have at least a 14 day return on live animals or you could take it back for there vet to look at and treat if necessary so you don't have any out of pocket expense. If going back as a refund chances are that turtle will have an short life , no one will buy it due to the problem and LPS don't want problems around. There are so many turtle mills around and yes a lot of birth defects make it to the market. You on the other hand can give a turtle with special needs a good home and a chance for a happy life , that's your call. Thanks for caring by posting. Turtle hide problems well , even to a Herp Vet , so be ready to observe very well in the future. One thing is any pet should be quarantined even plants for the tank when new for safety , so not to infect it's regular home or others. Other than the claws it look's good. Keep us posted on what happens.

P.S. Being no claws on front or back // turtles use there claws to climb up on things like basking area. You may want to have a ramp on basking area that's very simple and have a shallow ramp so it can get on easy. Modify it for it's handicap.
Last edited by litefoot on Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:00 am   Re: My turtles foot was bitten off ?

Sliders only have 4 nails on the rear feet. Do you know their genders?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:34 am   Re: My turtles foot was bitten off ?

He swiming very well , they're currently in a 55 gallon tank so they have enogh space for now, but I am aware that im going to have to upgrade in the future. also he eats, and digs with his missing claws perfectly . So I guess there isnt any pain.
You could tell too much by the photos I previously posted but the wounds used to be a little red where the nail should have been with was my main reason for posting , but any swlling and redness went down so im not really stressing it anymore. He still is miss three nails on his back leg and 1 on his front but all is good. Thanks for yall imput tho
Victardson

Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:03 am   Re: My turtles foot was bitten off ?

The nails might grow back if the nail beds are intact. However, if there is still fighting in the tank, things can get worse.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care