Urgent Care :: Female turtle not eating for couple of days

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:00 am   Female turtle not eating for couple of days

I have a pair of turtles. The female turtle is not eating for couple of days. I think they mated in April this year, as that tome male turtle penis prlapsed hence had to be amputated. I suspect she is pregnant. How long they take for laying eggs after mating? Their age is around 5 years. Please advise.
anchan

Post Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:33 am   Re: Female turtle not eating for couple of days

Back in April..."average" gestation period for a RES is two months but all are not alike some even three months. Females also can hold sperm for several years until she's ready. She could just be gravid / infertile.

Good read : http://redearslider.com/reproduction.html

Not eating is normal , she may fast a few weeks before eggs are laid. Partly to allow room for eggs to grow and may just feel bad. Does she look for a specific food , also may reject a lot of others. Attention to diet is a must , what she may prefer , so it's available to her.

Home made nesting boxes normally do not work. Most of us use our backyard gardens for them to lay. Must offer her place to lay eggs fertile or not , her holding them and eggs binding can kill her.
litefoot

Return to Urgent Care