Urgent Care :: Please help to identify possible shell rot, thanks!

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:03 pm   Please help to identify possible shell rot, thanks!

I have two turtles, one red-eared slider and one painted turtle. I am attaching photos of both of them, please help me figure out what is going on with their shells, thanks! Both of the titles have these spots but NEITHER of their shells are soft, breaking off, nor do they smell at all. They just have these white spots.

How big is your turtle?
Red-eared slider - about 5inches
Painted turtle- about 3 inches

How long have you had it?
I have had both for 1 years and 3 months

What is the water temperature? 82 degrees Fahrenheit
Did you use a thermometer? Yes in the water and by their Basking spot out of the water
Are you using a water heater? Yes
How much water is in there? They have about 10 inches of water in a 45 gallon tank at the time
Are you using a water conditioner? Yes I condition the water with each water change
Are you using any filtration? Yes I have a filter running at all times

What is the basking temperature? About 90 degrees Fahrenheit
Is there a basking light? Yes a heat lamp
Is there a basking platform that is easy to climb on? Yes they have a ramp and a huge place to bask with a platform and a rock to sit on
What kind is it or what is it made out of? The platform itself is some type of plastic and there is a rock on the platform
Is there a UVB light? Yes I have a UVB light next to the heat lamp

What have you been trying to feed it? I feed it turtle pellets, dried shrimp as a snack, and romaine lettuce
When was the last time your turtle ate? Today, I try to feed them once every other day and I feed them about 6-8 pellets each

How big is the tank/pond/enclosure? 45 gallons total but water is only about half way up the 45 gallon tank
Is the tank near a window? No
Is the tank in a room with a lot of activity? Yes

Have you read the Basic Care section? Yes
Have you searched the forums for similar situations? Yes
Attachments
.albumtemp.JPG
The underbelly of my painted turtle
.albumtemp.JPG
My painted turtles shell
.albumtemp.JPG
My painted turtle in the water
.albumtemp.JPG
The underbelly on my red eared slider
.albumtemp.JPG
My red-eared slider's shell
Mboyle23

Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:07 am   Re: Please help to identify possible shell rot, thanks!

It's fungus. They also look like they're being overfed.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:08 pm   Re: Please help to identify possible shell rot, thanks!

steve wrote:It's fungus. They also look like they're being overfed.

Do you have any tips on how to cure/treat this problem? The tank is cleaned regularly, not sure how they got this but do not want them getting it again!! Also, how much am I supposed to feed them at this age? I read so many differing things. Thank you!
Mboyle23

Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:46 pm   Re: Please help to identify possible shell rot, thanks!

If you search my post history, you will find my suggestion.... you will need to get some silver sulfadiazine cream for the most effective treatment.

As for feeding, the amount of protein/pellets they should get would be roughly 1/4 or 1/3 head size portion. Always use less if you're not sure.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:23 pm   Re: Please help to identify possible shell rot, thanks!

steve wrote:If you search my post history, you will find my suggestion.... you will need to get some silver sulfadiazine cream for the most effective treatment.

As for feeding, the amount of protein/pellets they should get would be roughly 1/4 or 1/3 head size portion. Always use less if you're not sure.

Great! Thank you for your help! I will try the sober sulfadiazine cream!
Mboyle23

Post Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:09 pm   Re: Please help to identify possible shell rot, thanks!

Good luck and keep us updated!
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care