Urgent Care :: turtle fell out of tank and scutes came outwards

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:12 am   turtle fell out of tank and scutes came outwards

this morning when i woke up i saw one of my turts wandering around the house. i put him in the previous night and the tank is pretty high up because i got a newer turtle tank. the thing is, when i checked his shell, i could see a few scutes coming out. i have since made a cover out of eggcrate and put it over the top but im not sure whether ill need to go to a vet for this issue because i heard turtles can get trauma

pic of scutes coming out:
http://imgur.com/gtMdq5k
hello there
HelperTurtle123

Post Posted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:56 am   Re: turtle fell out of tank and scutes came outwards

It looks like just a scute that is shedding. Your turtle has a lot of retained scutes, you should very gently see whats loose (never force or pry scutes off). Water/gunk left under retained scutes can cause serious infections.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:32 pm   Re: turtle fell out of tank and scutes came outwards

i tried moving them a little but they wouldnt budge. its just sticking up . there is like another scute under it though. not sure if i should put him back inside because my other two turtles usually like to harass him but they dont bite him
hello there
HelperTurtle123

Post Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 6:08 am   Re: turtle fell out of tank and scutes came outwards

It will come off eventually, I would check the other scutes as well.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care