Urgent Care :: Is this shell normal?

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:57 pm   Is this shell normal?

Hi, I have two red-eared sliders. I am not sure how old the are. I have them housed in a 40 gallon tank together, with large river rocks (not really huge, you know, just about an inch and a half large) and fake plants in one corner of the tank (they like to hide and chill out there sometimes). I have a homemade basking area with a ramp that they seem to have no difficulty using. I have the standard two-bulb lighting fixture, with a heating bulb and a UVB bulb
I have a water heater with a cover, and a thermometer on the side of the tank; the water temperature has stayed at between 75 and 78 degrees F. The air temperature near the basking spot has stayed around 85 degrees F. I have a water filter that has kept the water very clear. I feed my turtles separately, outside of the tank, hatchling pellets, though I have also begun to introduce dandelion leaves and other greens; they pick at them sometimes. I offer dried krill about once a month as a treat. Tersh is about one and a half inches long, and York is much smaller; they have also shown no signs of aggression towards each other; no claw fluttering, stacking, biting, or anything, and I observe them in the tank regularly.
York's shell seems to be normal, but I am concerned about Tersh. I will attach pictures below of both turtles. I'm not sure if Tersh is healthy, based on the appearance of his shell, top and bottom.
Attachments
IMG_20180618_175535.jpg
IMG_20180618_175521.jpg
IMG_20180618_175507.jpg
IMG_20180618_175456.jpg
IMG_20180618_175438.jpg
IMG_20180618_175418.jpg
bee_fox

Post Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:20 am   Re: Is this shell normal?

Make sure the river rocks are as big as their heads, and you might have to change them as your RES grow. Tersh might be getting fed a bit too much or is outcompeting York for food. Sounds like everything else is pretty good.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:44 am   Re: Is this shell normal?

steve wrote:Make sure the river rocks are as big as their heads, and you might have to change them as your RES grow. Tersh might be getting fed a bit too much or is outcompeting York for food. Sounds like everything else is pretty good.

I feed them separately so they don't compete for food. I'm just concerned with the grey in between Tersh's scutes, and the pink on his belly mostly..
bee_fox

Post Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:10 am   Re: Is this shell normal?

The wide grey areas are where the new growth will fill in, the pink on the plastron might be some irritation or also new growth.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care