Urgent Care :: I foudn shell rot on 2 turtles in my pond..

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:29 pm   I foudn shell rot on 2 turtles in my pond..

One of them is really bad, I've made an appointment to see the vet next week(earliest they had) but in the mean time what can I do to keep the others safe? We have 7 total in 250 gallons.
Currently with a canister filter. They are indoors and have basking area with temps of 90 and water temp stays about 75 with ambient air about 80's I'm using reptisun 24in T10 I think?
I think especially the guy who has it best has not come out to bask at all that I've noticed since we upgraded ponds in the last month (they were in a 150) their about 3in long each.
Should I swap out the water totally to keep everyone else from getting it. I really looked over them all and only found two with it..
Fxybx

Post Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:59 pm   Re: I foudn shell rot on 2 turtles in my pond..

I know there isn't a reply yet, but really looking at it and googling I've found that the spots are hard white spots that can't be easily scraped off. Kind of like its under the shell if that makes sense?
And the one who is worse off has a skin like infection too?
I'm going to get some bentadine(the orange/brown stuff?)
In going to try to post some pictures. Of the worse guy. The other just has smaller spots of white no skin problems. currently they're in a dry tank.
Fxybx

Post Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:05 pm   Re: I foudn shell rot on 2 turtles in my pond..

He/she did eat right before I noticed. I fed them all then checked after all the food was gone and he ate with no problems. Definitely still has an attitude and was not happy with me poking at him so I feel like his attitude is a good sign. And he did also poop all over his dry tank. So I feel that's another good sign for now.
Attachments
0621181147-1.jpg
0621181155-1.jpg
0621181146-1.jpg
Fxybx

Post Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:12 pm   Re: I foudn shell rot on 2 turtles in my pond..

The white spots are likely fungus and not shell rot. Easy to treat if you're aggressive early on. Ask the vet for silver sulfadiazine cream. As for the neck injury, it could be some scarring from bites, as it is a popular area for turtles to target. Could also be an infection, best to treat it with Betadine and some dry docking.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:07 pm   Re: I foudn shell rot on 2 turtles in my pond..

I put down bentadine on it and it definitely doesn't look open. I didn't even consider him being bitten at all. I've never notice any aggression between them except during feedings but that's always been a thing so ill definitely keep a better eye out and no one else has any injuries.
Im relieved it doesn't look like shell rot. We're not due to the Vet until Wednesday. Is there any place or even online where I can get some without the vet? Or is it something that have to prescribe? I'll definitely keep them in a dry tank. Should I use a basking bulb in the dry tank? Or UTH? Sorry for all the questions. My turts are my babies and I feel so horrible I didn't catch it sooner on this guy -_-
Fxybx

Post Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:32 am   Re: I foudn shell rot on 2 turtles in my pond..

SSD cream usually requires a prescription. So someone may help you out or you can find it online but prices can vary wildly. Dry docking should just be a clean, dry area. Maybe block off a corner of a room. Leave a towel for them to burrow under and the darker it is, the quicker they will go to sleep.... if I'm doing any sort of treatments that require drydocking, I usually try to do it at night.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care