Urgent Care :: Does My Turtle Have Worms?

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:19 pm   Does My Turtle Have Worms?

Lately, I have been seeing a weird something floating in my turtles water when I clean it at night. Pictures are attached. I have no idea what it is. Because it appears to be in a strand shape, I'm worried that it might be a worm, although I have never seen it move or give me any evidence that it might be alive. It seems to be textured like some kind of skin maybe? It maintains it's strand like form if I pick it up with a toothpick. If there is ever poop in the tank, I never find this inside the poop rather floating by itself in the water.

I'm really lost on what this might be and having had this turtle for so long, it is definitely a new development. Also, it seems to happen irregularly though it has been more frequent lately.

So my question is, has anyone seen this before from their turtles and may be able to identify it? I am willing to take the turtle to the vet if I can say with certainty that it's a worm but right now I'm not 100% convinced. It looks nothing like the pictures I've seen here.

Pre-Posting Questionaire

How big is your turtle? - Six Inches
How long have you had it? - 8 Years

What is the water temperature? - Room Temperatire
Did you use a thermometer? - No
Are you using a water heater? - No
How much water is in there? - 320 OZ.
Are you using a water conditioner?- No
Are you using any filtration? - No, daily water replacement

What is the basking temperature? - N/A
Is there a basking light? - No
Is there a basking platform that is easy to climb on? - N/A
What kind is it or what is it made out of? - N/A
Is there a UVB light? - N/A

What have you been trying to feed it? - Reptomin Reptile Pellettes
When was the last time your turtle ate? - Last Night

How big is the tank/pond/enclosure? - 5ft by 2 ft (Although the turtle is free to leave it's tank whenever it chooses)
Is the tank near a window? - No
Is the tank in a room with a lot of activity? - No

Have you read the Basic Care section? - Not yet, I'm a new member haven't seen it yet.
Have you searched the forums for similar situations? - Yes, I've seen some pictures posted of worms but nothing that looks like what I have.

Is there any other unusual activity/symptoms? - Turtle likes to climb things and falls off.

Additional Comments - My turtles living situation is a bit different. I've set up a system where the turtle has the ability to enter or leave it's tank as it chooses. So in a way the entire room is like its tank. It does bask in light sometimes, but that usually involves it sitting in natural light from my window while it's shining on the floor.
Attachments
IMG_20180621_193654.jpg
IMG_20180621_193651.jpg
saturnflair2009

Post Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:29 pm   Re: Does My Turtle Have Worms?

Hard to know what it is? Can you tell if it is segmented? Have you fed anything else besides Reptomin?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:16 am   Re: Does My Turtle Have Worms?

steve wrote:Hard to know what it is? Can you tell if it is segmented? Have you fed anything else besides Reptomin?

The turtle is primarily fed Reptomin Pellets and occasionally dried brine shrimp. It doesn't seem to be segmented in the way I would expect a worm to be based on other peoples pictures. There are definitely bumps but nothing that looks like worm rings.

I guess if no one else has seen this before, it might be time to talk to a vet. Worm or not, it doesn't seem to be normal. I'll report back either way.
saturnflair2009

Post Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:43 am   Re: Does My Turtle Have Worms?

It's probably nothing. Hopefully you get answers soon, good luck!
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care