Urgent Care :: help identifying worm in turtle's tank

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:48 pm   help identifying worm in turtle's tank

recently I noticed some tiny white specs on the bottom in my turtle's RES tank. Upon closer inspect I realized they were moving slightly. Worried about a parasite, I took my turtle to the Vet who declared him quite healthy and fit. A stool sample was tested for parasites and came back negative. The vet stated it could be some kind of environmental worm, which posed no threat to my turtle but is living off the waste on the bottom of the tank. I managed to isolate one and took some pictures and videos. Please see the this imgur link https://imgur.com/a/ogSkWPZ

Does anyone recognize this or know how to git rid of them without harming my turtle? I suspect Planaria but am not sure.

Thank you!

PS. I have also posted this on reddit because I was figure the more people I asked the better
sonibug13

Post Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:24 pm   Re: help identifying worm in turtle's tank

Good observing caught it early don't see too many , but hard to get rid of in one cleaning. Could be Planaria but they normally have a flatter end on them . Closer photo would help but really not needed they must go ! More common to be fly larvae and got in tank by some lettuce / veggies or a food source , maybe the environment ?

For any type worm you must get "all stages" of it's life. Break down everything wash with soap and water and let dry for an hour , everything ! The filter , best to replace all material media with new . Depending on what stage it's in you may have to break it all down again in 6-8 days again. It's sometimes hard to get all in one 100% break down.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:54 pm   Re: help identifying worm in turtle's tank

That's good to know about the different stages. The washing with soap and letting dry makes sense I will try that. Thank you!
sonibug13

Return to Urgent Care