Urgent Care :: Possible 2 weeks without UVB, advice?

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:30 am   Possible 2 weeks without UVB, advice?

Hi everyone,

I am new here.
I have two RES, named Twelve & Herman. Herman is probably 5 months old and Twelve is 3 months.
They are both currently healthy and happy.

3 days ago, my 25w UVB light blew and the pet stores in Singapore aren't really catered to reptiles/amphibians.
I mostly ordered my supplies online and it will take at least 2 weeks + for one to arrive.

Currently I have a 25W water heater catered for my 25L tank and is always at 27c-29c and I am using the only bulb I have which is HAGEN SUN GLOW BULB R20/50w (UVA)
Herman is currently feeding on spinach & chye sim which I know is rich in Vitamin A and Vitamin D3 and Twelve does not eat that much veggies for his age, he is one Azoo Nutri Baby turtle stick and Zoo Med Hatching Formula which also contains Vitamin A carotenes of now i am keeping the water temp warm, also providing them Reptivit Liquid. Calcium block in water tank too

I am doing anything I can to provide them enough vitamins and calcium in the meantime.
I would appreciate any sort of advise/help for my turtles to get through this! :D
Attachments
IMG_20181116_201909.jpg
tasharozario

Post Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:06 am   Re: Possible 2 weeks without UVB, advice?

Hi and welcome from Piggley and me,

I would suggest taking the whole tote/tub outside for a few hours every day for some direct sun depending on what part of the world you live in. ( ? monsoon season November in Singapore ? ) Maybe cover part if they get too hot for some shade. That is if no predator's around ! By a window will not help because the UVB rays they need "do not" penertrate glass. Two weeks not that long without but I still try to offer some direct sunlight outside on good days.

For babies the veggies are not that important at this time ( still can offer some ) more so when junvinells and adults veggies more important. Diet does change as they grow. Babies need a high quality baby protein because they are growing very fast. Your hatching formula is good for now. As for as the "spinach" yes for a human but "Not Recommended" for aquatic turtles. Look at top of this page header under "Nutrition" plant matter why ! and for what is recommended.

PS: not familiar with chye sim , is it in same family as choy sum ? If so choy sum is in the genus brassica of the mustard family so I would limit it's use. Not a food aquatic turtles would encounter. For RES turtles it's a medium/high risk food. ( see nutrition info on this forum).
litefoot

Post Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:22 pm   Re: Possible 2 weeks without UVB, advice?

Hi!

Nice to meet you
I am from Singapore and over here, it gets really really damn hot, sometimes up to 33c which is insane. But yes, it has been raining here now and there lately so you are right!

I should probably stop feeding them spinach yeah, heard those block their calcium intake or something but chye sim is supposingly good! here is are some short nutriotional values on it, let me know what you think?
https://www.ryansgrocery.com/products/L ... -SG/Detail
https://quanfablog.wordpress.com/2014/0 ... d-to-know/

Also I managed to get a 50W UVB+UVA heat bulb yesterday, yay :D
tasharozario

Post Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:53 am   Re: Possible 2 weeks without UVB, advice?

Hello! I'm from Singapore too :)

You can get them from Petmart at Serangoon. They have everything you need for turtles!
Lishan93

Post Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:34 am   Re: Possible 2 weeks without UVB, advice?

Hi Lishan!

Nice to meet you. :D
I have been to Petmart before, only once though. They do have alot of supplies but it seems to be very overpriced, i bought my first Exo Terra bulb from them and it blew in two weeks.
They also have products that are passed expiration date, ew. (be careful!)
Also, I bought Herman around Serangoon area, they have alot of pet shops there omg.

This website does not seem to have alot to offer either :(
http://www.aquarium.com.sg/index.php?route=common/home
tasharozario

Post Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:47 am   Re: Possible 2 weeks without UVB, advice?

Tasharozarion we have had several others on the forum from Singapore and availability is the thing or the cost of shipping. I use Mega Rays myself , overall the end cost is much better than any others. This is where I buy using there coupons : http://www.reptileuv.com/shipping.php
They do ship overseas but with no warranty , would not hurt just to email them for cost . May not be two arms and a leg to ship one ?

Here's good info on UVB's : https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=UV ... ORM=VRDGAR

Your spinach type I would have to do more homework ! Different climate's , soil , all things different may not be as bad as ours in the US ? Also if you can offer it in small amounts may be ok , a well mix with other veggies will balance it out. You have time babies need more protein now anyway.

By me (New Orleans , USA ) we get 65" of rain a year and window awning's are a big thing. Your 85" beats that but maybe a simple window awning to block the rain and open the window to let the good UVB rays in may help. Glass blocks the good UVB rays but lets the UVA rays pass . Especially with the limited type of UVB bulbs available.
litefoot

Post Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:46 am   Re: Possible 2 weeks without UVB, advice?

Check to see if his pellets have any vitamin D3. If there is some, I would not worry too much about 2 weeks without UVB. If not, I think a short exposure to sun daily is fine, or maybe a couple of hours during the week. Make sure there is constant supervision unless you have a turtle-proof enclosure.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:58 am   Re: Possible 2 weeks without UVB, advice?

tasharozario wrote:Hi Lishan!

Nice to meet you. :D
I have been to Petmart before, only once though. They do have alot of supplies but it seems to be very overpriced, i bought my first Exo Terra bulb from them and it blew in two weeks.
They also have products that are passed expiration date, ew. (be careful!)
Also, I bought Herman around Serangoon area, they have alot of pet shops there omg.

This website does not seem to have alot to offer either :(
http://www.aquarium.com.sg/index.php?route=common/home

You can try https://nekojam.com/ for an online pet store option! I bought an exo terra heat bulb from them and it's working fine. :) They have really good customer service too!
Lishan93

Post Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:04 am   Re: Possible 2 weeks without UVB, advice?

Thank you all , really appreciate it !!
tasharozario

Return to Urgent Care