Urgent Care :: Sudden death of our 22 year old happy and murry river turtle

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:34 pm   Sudden death of our 22 year old happy and murry river turtle

Our 22 year old turtle which has thrived in an outdoor pond enclosure has suddenly died. The day before it was happily feeding. His body looks to be in perfect health. He has a mate in the pond enclosure. She looks to be OK and possibly will lay eggs sometime soon. We have changed the water in the pond. Any advice as to what may have happened and what we should be concerned about for our female. Will she be lonely without her mate? Any feedback would be very much appreciated.
Dionismit

Post Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:05 pm   Re: Sudden death of our 22 year old happy and murry river tu

Sorry for your loss. There are times turtles can hide a problem from us and even a trained Herp Vet. 22 years is a good life for a river turtle and sounds like a happy life for him , may of just been in his DNA. Most river turtles life span is shorter than a RES , 22 sounds normal , in captivity longest may be 30 at best on common river turtles. Did you raise him from an egg , if not may of been older. Along with changing the enclosure's water check all things in the tank for safety too just as a precaution. Observe well with his girlfriend for any signs of anything also as a precaution.

Did you check her for eggs ? Is it the first time she may lay ?
If with eggs river turtles like a nesting area more on the sandy side for her site to lay.
She will be ok on her own and will get all your attention , she will do well.
Murry's range is normally Australia , you live there , or got one in the US / other from a breeder ?
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:55 pm   Re: Sudden death of our 22 year old happy and murry river tu

Thank you for your reply, yes we are in Australia. Have had our 2 turtles since hatchlings. They have been successfully breeding for many years now and have had very strong and healthy babies. We have never had any health problems with them so this has come as a shock. Good to know his girlfriend will be ok on her own. We were never planning to breed but we had sought a companion for our first hatchling. We will follow your advise and check her pond and observe her carefully. We add fresh sand for her every spring for her to lay. Many thanks for your advise.
Dionismit

Post Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:11 pm   Re: Sudden death of our 22 year old happy and murry river tu

Thank you for being a good parent to your turtles. His loss will hurt but think of all the memories he gave you ! My loss of several turtles was due to Hurricane Katrina 13 years ago. Still hurts today but like I said what great memories I have. Like the great ones you have !
What a lucky girl getting fresh sand every spring , great job.
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:39 am   Re: Sudden death of our 22 year old happy and murry river tu

If you are worried, you can ask a vet to do a necropsy. :s But I agree with litefoot, chances are your turtle died of old age. I'm really sorry for your loss. :(
PokePony

Return to Urgent Care