Urgent Care :: My turtle has pneumonia

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:44 pm   My turtle has pneumonia

I've had Speedy for 30 years, since I was 2. Recently she has not been begging in the morning like normal, but has still been eating some. Then she began to float with her butt up, sticking out of the water. She would struggle to swim down, and if she did, she would pop right back up. I watched her for a couple days and decide to take her to the vet. The vet I take my dog to was able to refer me to a reptile vet. He said she looks good for 30. After an examination and some x-rays she was diagnosed with pneumonia. Now I have to give her an antibiotic shot every 3 days for 1-2 months. So far, she's only had 1 shot, but is eating better and swimming more, but still floating butt up.
Lisaj

Post Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:33 pm   Re: My turtle has pneumonia

You have a lot on your mind just use all your knowledge over your decades to help.
So a gastro problem ruled out but fluid in both lungs found. Talk to your herp vet you will see side effect’s from the antibiotics soon. Antibiotics are much better than 30 years ago but they still kill off the good bacteria along with the bad. Especially the gut flora then have difficulty digesting food , causing loss of appetite. The immune system weakens. Talk to him/her for best diet they recommend for the drug they are using to keep her strength up. They may offer shoots to help. You say she's eating better , good ! I would even offer her favorite treats to keep her eating. If he/she said you can keep Speedy in her regular home raise the temps up 5* mainly the water temp. Speedy will be more comfortable. We also lowered the water level down to make it easy to get the head up to breath if kept in regular home. That’s if you don’t have a quarantine tank and her swimming gets worst. Always ask your herp vet first if what you do at home can help.

We are with you and Speedy , wishing for the best.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:28 pm   Re: My turtle has pneumonia

Gave Speedy her 2nd shot last night. Today, she's able to swim to the bottom and stay down for awhile. :D
Lisaj

Post Posted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:41 pm   Re: My turtle has pneumonia

Glad to hear Speedy taking to the shots well.
litefoot

Return to Urgent Care