Urgent Care :: White shell, is it shell rot or worse?

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:36 am   White shell, is it shell rot or worse?

Hey, so I've had my RES for about 4 years, hes in a 75 gallon tank. Plenty of room to swim as well as an area to bask in. I have both UVA and UVB lamps. There is a strong filter and a water heater (around 75-78 degrees) . I usually do a deep clean on the tank every 3-4 weeks. The environment conditions haven't changed anytime recently. He eats normally, swims regularly and sleeps. Basks like normal. I've never had any problems with him before, so I don't know what this is, maybe shell rot?

http://imgur.com/a/iW3mTo5 here is what he looks like

He started shedding, and one area in general and one section of his shell was all white. It's not soft, it's not sunken in. His shell is also getting lighter lately too. I'm just worried it's an infection. Or is the heat lamp too hot? Please help, I'll be taking him to the vet once I have some sort of an idea of what's wrong.
JlisaH91

Post Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:11 pm   Re: White shell, is it shell rot or worse?

Sorry Tuesday I had Osseous Surgery , just moving around today.

This is not shell rot. A sucte that was not ready to come off during it's shed was forced off some how. This is exposed bone and is very painful to your turtle , is very serious. The best thing at this point is to offer better water conditions than you have so to "prevent infection". Your photo does show a lot of particles in your water. Your filter is "not" holding the waste well and sending it back into the tank. Think about a better media setup for that. Also starting a cycled tank ( nitrogen cycle ) will help even an inadequate filter do much better. Test your UVB bulb with a meter to see if it's still producing useable rays. Most only do that for 6-8 months. Unless you have a mercury vapor type ( they last about 12-17 months ) but I would still test it to. As far as diet for about the next year use Wheat Germ pellets for the protein side and it's proper veggie's . It ,wheat germ, has some good documentation on helping shell health.
Giving more time and attention for these things is all you can do now. Do Not let it get dirty or infected ! In about 8 months should start to regrow the scute , yes will take time.
Shell patterns and color changes with each shed . Some end up turning a blackish green when old , this is normal.

NOTE : do not use any surgical scrub on "exposed bone" like betadine . Can and will be absorbed into the bone getting into the blood stream and cause other problems. Keep it clean !!!
Acriflavine or a stress coat is safer "used per instructions" can assist in healing. If it "does" get infected a Herp Vet may recommend dry docking with "proper" RX drugs. And any debridement could be done if needed. Photo now does not show any infection today. Keeping it clean is a must and a second opinion from a Herp vet may offer some peace of mind.
litefoot

Return to Urgent Care