Urgent Care :: 8 year old RES stopped eating 3 weeks ago

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:25 pm   8 year old RES stopped eating 3 weeks ago

First of all, please save the kindergarten replies. I've had this turtle almost a decade. I didn't just get him from the pet store a month ago...

About 2 months ago, I met a girl and started hanging out at her place a lot. Before that, I spent a few hours every day in the same room as my RES. After I started hanging out at her place, I began feeding my RES less regularly, every few days as opposed to every day. About 3 weeks ago, he stopped eating altogether. Pellets, ham...he won't touch anything he used to eat.

I'm now moved in with this girl, and I brought his whole set-up over here hoping that having human activity going on around my RES would stimulate his appetite, but it hasn't. Aside from his surroundings, NOTHING about his environment has changed drastically in the last 2 months.

How big is your turtle? 10-12 inches
How long have you had it? 8 years

What is the water temperature? Within acceptable ranges
Did you use a thermometer? No
Are you using a water heater? No
How much water is in there? 18-20 gallons
Are you using a water conditioner? Yes
Are you using any filtration? Yes

What is the basking temperature? Within acceptable ranges
Is there a basking light? Yes
Is there a basking platform that is easy to climb on? Yes
What kind is it or what is it made out of? Resin
Is there a UVB light? Yes

What have you been trying to feed it? Tetra ReptoMin pellets
When was the last time your turtle ate? 3-4 weeks ago

How big is the tank/pond/enclosure? 36"w x 15"t x 18"d
Is the tank near a window? Yes
Is the tank in a room with a lot of activity? No

Have you read the Basic Care section? Yes
Have you searched the forums for similar situations? You means the HUNDREDS of them? Yeah...

Is there any other unusual activity/symptoms? No

So there it is. Sorry for being brusque, but I'm looking for advice from experienced RES owners, not kids who just read the Basic Care section. Aside from being a little lethargic, my RES isn't acting strange in any other way except not eating. He's not listing, coughing, expelling mucus, or any other signs of illness. He simply won't eat, and his conditions hadn't changed at all in the period that he stopped eating, except for me not being in the same room with him often.

Any good advice would be greatly appreciated.
GhostSignal

Return to Urgent Care