Urgent Care :: Respiratory infection (Pretty sure)

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:58 pm   Respiratory infection (Pretty sure)

Hello. This is going to be a long one so buckle in :oops: I have a painted turtle named Melony who is going through a rough patch. She is 31 years old. About a month ago she got very lethargic and didn't want to move from her basking log. She went a week+ without eating and I noticed the telltale signs of a respiratory infection. Her eyes were a little bit swollen and I could see her cough up stuff while in the water and she would rub her neck a bit like she was trying to clear stuff. In the past 3 decades or so she's had 2 or 3 respiratory infections before and come through them in a couple weeks. Anyway, I moved her to a smaller 10 gallon tank and put maybe 2 inches of water in it, just enough for her to swim and eat with her basking setup and covered the whole thing with a towel other than around the lamp.

After about another week in there she was more active and eating. She pretty much will only eat her sticks and dried shrimp. Occasionally I can get her to eat some cut up strawberry or apple but she honestly has never cared for natural food. Anyway, I left her in the small tank for another couple days and she seemed ok so I moved her back to her big tank. It has been about a week and she ate maybe on the first day and her condition I will say has plummeted.

She's now extremely lethargic, uninterested in me or food. Her eyes are a bit swollen but none of this is really what's worrying me. She seems to have stopped using her back legs. If I pick her up they just dangle where they would normally retract if I touched them too much. I'm unsure if she can even feel them. I have read about some tortoises who have stopped using their back legs for some time and then started using them again, shrug :( .

For the last 20 hours or so I have drydocked her with her basking setup and a bed of a towels in the small tank, the towels deep enough I could put a small recessed water trough in for drinking. Her only activity has been crawling to the cool side of the tank.

Now my real problems and questions. Because of the covid lockdown I haven't been able to get a vet to see me. Almost all of the vets in my area are herp illiterate anyway (I live very rural in Pennsylvania). Worse, because of covid I've lost my job with no date to return if ever. I'm doing well just to put food on the table and a couple hundred dollars in medicines IF i could get it really wouldn't be feasible for me. Is there a chance she'll get better on her own? Am I putting her through hell trying to keep her going? I know turtles can go weeks without food but she hasn't eaten in a week and I'm wondering if I do get a vet appt if I should have her put down. She's had a long good life with me. Ok I'm gonna cry some now haha. :oops:

Thank you all so much for the virtual ear. I really have no one to talk to about this stuff.

How big is your turtle? 5"
How long have you had it? 31 years

What is the water temperature? low 80s
Did you use a thermometer? Yes
Are you using a water heater? Yes
How much water is in there? 4-5"
Are you using a water conditioner? Yes
Are you using any filtration? Yes

What is the basking temperature? 90ish
Is there a basking light? Yes
Is there a basking platform that is easy to climb on? Yes
What kind is it or what is it made out of? Floating fake log
Is there a UVB light? Yes

What have you been trying to feed it? Reptomin mini-sticks and mini shrimp, strawberries.
When was the last time your turtle ate? 4-5 days

How big is the tank/pond/enclosure? 20 gallon long
Is the tank near a window? Kind of
Is the tank in a room with a lot of activity? No

Have you read the Basic Care section? A little, I've been caring for this turtle my entire life.
Have you searched the forums for similar situations? Yes
chiiba

Post Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:33 pm   Re: Respiratory infection (Pretty sure)

Sorry to hear you're going through this. This could be something greater than RI, and since turtles hide their illnesses, it's possible she's been going through this much longer than you think. Aside from keeping her warm and comfortable, I'm not sure what home remedies you can try. I like to suggest a soak in diluted Pedialyte with some crumbled up pellets sprinkled in there.

You don't know of any good herp vets where you are? I think some are willing to take emergency appointments. It's a real difficult situation... not sure if anyone can handle it differently.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:28 pm   Re: Respiratory infection (Pretty sure)

Hi steve, thanks for the response and the well wishes. I found a clinic with an exotic animal vet a town over, but he can't talk to me till Saturday. I am kind of feeling like she isn't going to make it till then but we shall see. I'll try the soak it can't hurt, thanks.
chiiba

Post Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:58 pm   Re: Respiratory infection (Pretty sure)

I understand the frustration and anxiety, I sincerely hope she pulls through.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat May 02, 2020 3:57 pm   Re: Respiratory infection (Pretty sure)

Had a long convo with the vet this morning and we decided it was time to send her on her way. She believed my turt was much worse off than I had even thought like you said Steve but Mel was still gutting it out. Sad but I'm happy knowing she's no longer suffering. Thank you Steve for the kind and caring words.

I'm already thinking about getting another. I don't know if I will make it another 32 years but another companion would be nice. Maybe a few red eared sliders this time. Browsing some of the setups on here over the past few days has me thinking a lot. Probably not for a bit but it is definitely on my mind.

Thanks again.
chiiba

Post Posted: Sun May 03, 2020 9:22 am   Re: Respiratory infection (Pretty sure)

I'm sorry to hear about Melony. It sounds like she was a wonderful friend. RES are great turtles but males often need to be separated from other turtles, and occasionally females do as well. RES just tend to dominate and some can be very aggressive. RES, especially females can also get pretty big, so you will want a larger tank after a couple of years too.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care