Urgent Care :: HELP URGENT Red Eared Slider might have cracked shell

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:44 am   Re: HELP URGENT Red Eared Slider might have cracked shell

Well we think she has laid about 10 eggs or more. She hasn’t laid one in a while and we do not know if we should call the doctor. Also, if you click on the link I provided in this reply you will see this red looking thing I found after I scooped her feces out of her tank. We don’t know if this is a type of blood thing or if it was the little bit of watermelon she had around 9-10 days ago. Do you know what this is? It is kind of scaring me a lot.
https://imgur.com/gallery/qdJvC0E
Frostyy

Post Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:52 am   Re: HELP URGENT Red Eared Slider might have cracked shell

I just made a reply but it doesn’t seem that it went through so if there is 2 replies that’s why. Anyway, we think that she has laid 10 eggs at least, and she hasn’t laid an egg in a while. We don’t know if their stuck or if we miscounted, and she laid one at night. Also, I have found this very weird looking red stuff in her feces and it is scaring me a lot and I really need to know what that is. If you click the link in this reply, you can see the picture of it. We don’t think it’s blood because it doesn’t really look like blood, but the only red thing she has had recently was watermelon and that was 8-10 days ago. What is it? Is this very bad? Please help me as soon as you can. I am freaking out.
https://imgur.com/gallery/qdJvC0E
Frostyy

Post Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:05 am   Re: HELP URGENT Red Eared Slider might have cracked shell

It wouldn't be watermelon. If she had been passing rocks recently, it may be related to that. I would keep her to a basic diet and observe her poop the next few droppings. On a good note, she's able to pass it.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:40 am   Re: HELP URGENT Red Eared Slider might have cracked shell

Well she passed all 3 of the pebbles she ate. She had a prolapse every time one of the pebbles was either ready to come out, or actually came out. I haven’t been able to catch her right after she actually poops (sorry again for the disturbing language) to see if the prolapse is gone. We took her to the vet, and they said to give her these pain killer injections and calcium injections. Do you think she is bleeding on the inside and we should go to see a vet, or do you think it is just old irritation or some old blood from passing 3 pebbles. And again, yes she has no more pebbles to pass and has passed 3 total. Also I forgot to say we give her red kale and sometimes shrimp. Might it possibly be one of those things?
Frostyy

Post Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:54 am   Re: HELP URGENT Red Eared Slider might have cracked shell

I would lean towards old irritation, but you probably really need to keep that tank bare. Ditch the nesting box as soon as you don't need it. When was the last time she went to the vet? Since it's out of focus, I can't tell what it is.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:04 pm   Re: HELP URGENT Red Eared Slider might have cracked shell

The last time she went to the vet was the start of this whole thing which was in May. Like May 23rd I believe. I think it is about time that they said we schedule our follow up meeting about the eggs and the rocks. All rocks have been passed and her tank is completely bare on the bottom besides her basking platform, and a rock 3 times the size of her head. She also no longer has the coconut chips in the nesting tank, but she actually has the correct thing which is coconut coir. I would hope that red is old and nothing to worry about. Also the only problem I would have left to solve is she likes to bite and move the output nozzle of her filter, which I obviously can’t take out of the tank. Also it is very hot in my state and I can not maintain 78 degrees for her water temperature even with my air conditioner full blast and my attic fan and room ceiling fan alps running. What should I do for the biting of the filter nozzle? Do you think it is fine and I should just let it go? Also how do I keep the water temperature at 78? It is too hot in my area to stay at 78 so it goes to like 80-81.
Frostyy

Post Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:06 pm   Re: HELP URGENT Red Eared Slider might have cracked shell

When did she pass the last rock? Keep a real basic and simple diet... maybe even a small amount just so you can try to see if there is any consistency with her poop. So it's a bit of detective work for you.

As for the nozzle, can you reposition it? Most canisters you can move it around. Some also come with a spray bar and you can keep it out of the water but it could be noisy. It's hot here too, so I do basic things to keep the room temperature low. Closed windows/curtains can help in the afternoon. Partial water changes are a pain but will work. Take an empty soda bottle and fill it with water and freeze it so you can use it like a giant ice cube. A fan directed over the surface of the water should keep it cool as well, though it will also evaporate the water quicker.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:15 pm   Re: HELP URGENT Red Eared Slider might have cracked shell

The last rock was passed about 2 days ago. Also I have been watching these white specs on her shell. I have no clue what this is either. Is it bad? Is it fixable? What is it? Please help. This should be the last question I have most likely.
https://imgur.com/gallery/pfttsp8
Frostyy

Post Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:17 am   Re: HELP URGENT Red Eared Slider might have cracked shell

Might be starting to shed, I'd just keep a close eye on it.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:35 pm   Re: HELP URGENT Red Eared Slider might have cracked shell

Shedding just like normally? Is this just a normal thing?
Frostyy

Post Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:34 pm   Re: HELP URGENT Red Eared Slider might have cracked shell

Shedding is normal and healthy, but this is a bit too early to be conclusive
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:22 pm   Re: HELP URGENT Red Eared Slider might have cracked shell

What do you mean by both too early and conclusive?
Frostyy

Post Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:37 pm   Re: HELP URGENT Red Eared Slider might have cracked shell

Would need to wait a bit to see more and to be certain.
steve
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Urgent Care