Urgent Care :: Turtle pneumonia - Recovery Process

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:08 pm   Turtle pneumonia - Recovery Process

Hi all! I am hoping for some advice or any information if someone has had a similar situation.

I have had a Red-eared Slider for many years. Unfortunately, I got him when I was pretty young so I was aware of what was needed to properly care for him. I noticed recently he started doing a head twitch and then he would rub his right foot on his head as if to be brushing something off. I also noticed a lump on top of his shell on the front-right side and that he was swimming very sideways. I started doing research and found that it was likely pneumonia and found out I needed to make some adjustments to his aquarium. I have since invested in a very good new filter, new heat lighting and water heating system. I also took him to the vet and they did an X-ray and believe it is a bacterial infection/pneumonia but said it could be fungal which is treated differently. The vet has given him 2 injections of antibiotics so far but they don't seem to have had much of an effect. I scheduled him another appointment for later this week to reevaluate.

He is still eating and is still pretty active. I do notice he spends a good amount of time basking and will lay his head down. I have noticed his stretch his neck out in a gasping motion, but I don't see it very often. He is still doing the occasional head twitch. Most recently (within the last day or so), he has started to spin in circles under the water like something this bothering him on his right side and I have seen him biting towards his front-right foot. I am starting to wonder if it is too late for him to recover or if this is somehow a part of the recovery.

Has anyone had a similar situation? How many injection should he receive before I would start to notice a change?

The vet recommended I do injection at home, but I am not 100% comfortable with that. I will if I have to. Has anyone had to administer injection on their turtle before? How difficult is it?

Are there any home remedies I could try to help him heal?

I appreciate any help or guidance! :mrgreen:

How big is your turtle? - Shell is about 6 inches long, 4 inches wide.
How long have you had it? - about 16 years.
What is the water temperature? - 78 degrees
Did you use a thermometer? -Yes.
Are you using a water heater? - Yes.
How much water is in there? - Roughly 9 inches
Are you using a water conditioner? - yes
Are you using any filtration? - Yes
What is the basking temperature? - 85-90 degrees
Is there a basking light? - Yes
Is there a basking platform that is easy to climb on? - Yes
What kind is it or what is it made out of? - Exo Terra Turtle Cliff (I don't use the filter that comes with it)
Is there a UVB light? - Yes
What have you been trying to feed it? - ReptoMin
When was the last time your turtle ate? - This morning
How big is the tank/pond/enclosure? - 40 Gallon tank with about 25 gallons of water in it.
Is the tank near a window? - No
Is the tank in a room with a lot of activity? - Yes
Have you read the Basic Care section? - Yes
Have you searched the forums for similar situations? - Yes
Is there any other unusual activity/symptoms? - Yes
jnlee

Post Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:03 pm   Re: Turtle pneumonia - Recovery Process

I’m not sure if I’m hearing any pneumonia like symptoms. The lump is probably something else. How long has he been like that?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:40 pm   Re: Turtle pneumonia - Recovery Process

Hi Steve - I started really noticing the lump a few months ago. The vet did an X-ray on the lump and said that it appeared to be the infection and not a cancerous mass. The lump is internal.
I forgot to mention that he also swims sideways with the side with the lump floating upwards. Ever since I can remember he has always swam a little crooked so I never really thought anything of it. Then when he stated with the head twitches I started researching and found that sideways swimming could be an infection.
jnlee

Post Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:32 pm   Re: Turtle pneumonia - Recovery Process

It's been awhile since we talked about RI (and most people have moved onto the Facebook page) but a symptom would be listing or swimming in circles. It could also be neurological but the lump is of concern. How "severe" is his sideways swimming? I wouldn't be overly concerned about the head twitches unless it's done frequently. Lots of basking is normal too, but they are usually awake and alert most of the time.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:56 am   Re: Turtle pneumonia - Recovery Process

I guess you could say I am a bit old school, I don't use facebook, haha!
The head twitches used to be more frequent, which makes me think that the medication is working since it doesn't happen too often anymore. I thought the lump might go down or at least his swimming might level out once the medication started working, but it has not. The sideways swimming sometimes seems severe but at other times he's able to almost level himself out.
He ate last night when I fed him, but I went to give him some food this morning and he remained on the basking platform and has not ate yet.
I have another vet appointment scheduled for him on Friday. I think I am going to get the at home injections and see if that helps. I am very hesitant about administering those but if it's going to help then I will have to try.
jnlee

Post Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:33 am   Re: Turtle pneumonia - Recovery Process

Did he always have some of these issues, in varying severity? I wouldn't rule out normal changes in behavior, though you know him better than anyone.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:29 am   Re: Turtle pneumonia - Recovery Process

I believe he has always swam a little sideways. The head twitching, neck extending and gasping, laying his head down on the basking platform, and spinning in the water are all newer behaviors.
jnlee

Post Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:45 pm   Re: Turtle pneumonia - Recovery Process

They head twitching and neck extending are mostly normal, especially with extended basking. What are the injections the vet is giving him? Are they antibiotics? They should show you how to do it or offer an oral version.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:22 am   Re: Turtle pneumonia - Recovery Process

Yes they are antibiotics. Do they have them in an oral version? I will have to inquire with them about that at his appointment today. If not, they did say they will show me how to do the injections.
jnlee

Post Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:32 pm   Re: Turtle pneumonia - Recovery Process

I don't think all antibiotics have an oral version. How much longer do they say she needs the meds?
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care