Urgent Care :: 11 year old and 15 cm turtle has red parasites(?)

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:23 am   11 year old and 15 cm turtle has red parasites(?)

hey so i have a turtle. we thought thought it was a male but recently i started thinking it’s a female. anyways today i was cleaning its filter and seen red, nearly half cm and little wormy things. i didn’t think they were moving but i saw some more in its water. im so worried since literally NONE of the vets in my country looks for turtles. i just hope its nothing serious. it eats the things that look like little orange shrimps and fruit + vegs. its appetite is very fine

it doesnt let me post a pic because of the file size idk what to do since the reason i registered is this
ueranes

Post Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:22 am   Re: 11 year old and 15 cm turtle has red parasites(?)

It's probably midge larvae or blood worms. Can you look up those pictures for reference?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:48 am   Re: 11 year old and 15 cm turtle has red parasites(?)

hey so i uploaded pics to yandex disk

https://yadi.sk/i/A9EBGcSO3SpmWA
ueranes

Post Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:02 pm   Re: 11 year old and 15 cm turtle has red parasites(?)

It does look like midge larvae. How big is the tank and what kind of filter are you using?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:45 pm   Re: 11 year old and 15 cm turtle has red parasites(?)

i’m not really sure about the tank size but we use a external filter
ueranes

Post Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:53 pm   Re: 11 year old and 15 cm turtle has red parasites(?)

i looked up the midge larvae end it seems that it’s not coming out of my turty boi so i’m kind of relieved. that possibility of larvae coming out of my baby is veey concerning but i’m trying to relax. after i saw them we cleaned the entire tank very carefully idk if there’ll be more of them but i think we can use reptile-friendly cleaning things(?) i just read that they exist in some other website so i’m hopeful. if it IS coming out of him/her then....
our country and my city has a mosquito problem so i just think that it’s coming out if his/her tank or filter
ueranes

Post Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:23 pm   Re: 11 year old and 15 cm turtle has red parasites(?)

It's probably not coming out of your turtle, alive anyway. I would just clean out the filter often until the problem subsides... so maybe keep multiple supplies so you can easily swap out the media.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care