Urgent Care :: Weird dark purple bag coming out of cloaca?

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:23 am   Weird dark purple bag coming out of cloaca?

Hi,

I posted something here many years ago, and you guys helped me more than any local vet. I'm betting on this forum again.

I literally just noticed one of my turtles with this huge, dark purple, bag, coming out of his cloaca. It's a male. I thought it could be the penis for the very first time (he is over 13 years old) but the shape is oddly weird for a penis.

It's already back inside of him. I have two other turtles, one female, and they all have separate but near tanks, so they can see each other. I removed the female from her tank, to calm this male down a bit, and it worked.

But I'm not sure if this was normal or not, or if this was the penis or not... When I went back for a photo, it was already back in. There is no change in behavior or anything else.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance
guidoti

Post Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:34 am   Re: Weird dark purple bag coming out of cloaca?

Not my photo, but I found some identical things on the web. But still not sure if so-called 'fanning', which I'm assuming it's the 'showing off penis' behavior, or prolapsing any internal organ.

guidoti

Post Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:40 am   Re: Weird dark purple bag coming out of cloaca?

Just one more piece of info: he was inside of his tank, I was not handling him or whatever, and I never noticed him doing this before (13 years old). I've another male that never did it before, same age.

Thanks
guidoti

Post Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:00 pm   Re: Weird dark purple bag coming out of cloaca?

Yes, it's his penis. It's normal and it should go back. It's important to not have other turtles around as they might bite it. My male RES fanned when he was younger (I guess he was learning what it was) but its been years since I saw him fanning. It might come out when stressed (holding him too long) but I normally don't see it.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:42 pm   Re: Weird dark purple bag coming out of cloaca?

Thanks Steve!

You talked to me years ago, and actually, saved the day. I've three turtles but it's always the same one that makes me post here.

I never seen this before. And I hold them all the time, but only because they seem to be very relaxed with me (the female is sleeping on my lap as I type, for example). They have individual tanks... But separated by glass, meaning, they can see each other and they do 'fluttering' all the time (this male and the female). Maybe this proximity is the trigger to the fanning?

Thanks, Steve.
guidoti

Post Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:27 am   Re: Weird dark purple bag coming out of cloaca?

No problem! Always glad to help :D
I wouldn't say the fluttering leads to fanning but I do think fanning is more related to instinctive reactions. So if he didn't see the other turtle, there would be less fluttering as well.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care