Urgent Care :: PLEASE HELP HATCHLING TURTLE ACCIDENT

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:01 pm   PLEASE HELP HATCHLING TURTLE ACCIDENT

hello.
I just got two hatchling red eared sliders. I have them temporarily in a 2 gallon until there forty gallon tank come in. My fiancé put a 80W sun bulb on the tank not knowing it was too hot. I can home from work and saw it. I freaked out and threw the bulb out got the turtles out of there. I poured ice cold water with ice cubes in the tank to get the water back to where it needed to be and put the angels back. Will they be ok? Please help! They were in there for maybe over an hour :cry:
Christine1996

Post Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:23 pm   Re: PLEASE HELP HATCHLING TURTLE ACCIDENT

How are they behaving? There isn't much you can do except to see if they are acting normal and staying on top of their temperatures.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:11 pm   Re: PLEASE HELP HATCHLING TURTLE ACCIDENT

I mean one is acting fine, the other one is acting weird though he swims once in a while but most of the time he’s on the rock and I’ve caught him with his eyes closed a few times. I just want them to be OK, the bigger tank came today and I have everything set up with the right temperature is but I don’t know how much damage is done already I just wanted to see if there was any more I can do for them.
Christine1996

Post Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:12 am   Re: PLEASE HELP HATCHLING TURTLE ACCIDENT

Any idea how hot it got? Most RES can tolerate hot temperatures for short periods. Obviously not a good idea for hatchlings, plus being in an enclosure can amplify those temperatures.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care