Urgent Care :: I can't keep my baby RES

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:33 pm   I can't keep my baby RES

I would release it in the wild, but I don't think it would hibernate throughout the winter.

I got my turtle from Chinatown, NY, knowing nothing about turtles (stupid me) -where do the turtle sellers get them from :?:

I want to do what's best for my baby!! (Besides keeping her...)

I need lot's of advise!
Myrtle

Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:44 pm   

If you live in NY I would advise against releasing it into the wild. Since it's not a native species, someone correct me if I'm wrong, it could cause irrevocable damage. I would find either find a turtle rescue or call friends relatives, neighbors, pet stores, etc.
As always, spelling errors are complimentary.

Taylor Family Zoo:
2 Red Ear Sliders
2 Fire Bellied Toads
1 Bearded Dragon
1 Short hair Kitten
1 Long hair Kitten
1 Siamese Manx mix (stumpy tail)
BigCT

Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:46 pm   

Mtrtle
Im sorry to hear you cant keep your turtle. I know nothing about N.Y. so Im afraid Im not alot of help.Maybe you could advertize in the papers or in a vets office a zoo or a rescue house if there is one in your area might take it? another solution would be if you have relatives or friends that you can educate on the care of a RES they may like to enjoy this unique pet? also a Doctors or lawyers or car dealership maybe into having this in their office space. if you can print out some of the stickys here on feeding,illness,housing,as well as this websites addy etc to educated the new owner. a free turtle with educational tools could be a welcomed family member to someone but I dont think releasing it is wise at all. good luck and keep us informed. p.s. if ya could ship it safe here I would take it in :lol:
Don't put a question mark (?) where God has already put a period (.)!
lydia_lady_fla

Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:33 pm   

"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:34 pm   

what ever you do ... do not release your turtle into the wild because the turtle can effect an ecosystem like ways u could never imagine ... most likely a vet will take it ..... if u cant keep it try and re-sell it back to the pet store .. but dont let it free ... it will not know how to feed cuz u feed it pellets its just cruel and plus it will die in the winter .. so try your best :wink:
Mr.Turtle - 8.0" (female)
mitchy04

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:46 am   

i would love to take them but i got no place to keep them. try some sites like craigslist, but alot of people try to give away turtles
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:42 am   

I found this one:
Western New York Herpetological Society
phone: 716-491-5394
email: Krissy Sokolik ( adoptions@wnyherp.org )
Buffalo, NY
We're a group of enthusiasts that focus on educating ourselves and the public about responsible herp ownership as well as conservation of our native species. We have members all over the Western New York region including Rochester and Buffalo.

I hope it helps :
:D :D
STRAYKINGFISHER

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:24 pm   

Thanks you guys, you're a big help!
Jane

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:18 pm   

:D :D
STRAYKINGFISHER

Post Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:23 pm   

dude, i'd love to take it, but i live in nc, kind of a long way=\ good luck with the situation=)
jezzell

Return to Urgent Care