Urgent Care :: Shock?

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:37 pm   Shock?

I've had my two RES, Garcia and Lesh, for roughly a month. I've maintained the best habitat I can for them (heated water, food, fresh water, etc.). When I change their water I usually let them frolic in the bathroom sink (which is always spotless). When I was changing their water today, they seemed to be enjoying swimming and playing about, but suddenly quit moving. Lesh hasn't moved for about half an hour, and Garcia quit moving but is now swimming contentedly in their tank.

After a quick telephone conversation with a friend, we decided that they were in shock. Now I'm starting to think that Lesh has passed on. How can I know for sure? Garcia is floating a bit uneven, so I'm also thinking that he has a respritory infection. I plan on taking him to the vet as soon as I can.

I really appreciate any information that can be given.
Stella Blue

Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:42 pm   

was there any soap residue in the sink? I heard of someone's turt dying suddenly after being in the bathroom sink.

Pick Lesh up and see if he responds to you touching his legs and chin. If he is passed on, he'll get stiff fairly quickly and the eyes will start to sink in (someone correct me if i'm wrong). Give him a couple of hours before disposing of him just to be sure. Put him in very shallow warm water and see if he snaps out of it. Get Garcia to a vet first thing in the morning. Sorry I can't be of more help. Good luck.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:57 pm   

Thanks very much for the advice! I'm fairly certain it wasn't soap residue because I make sure the sink is spotless before I let the little guys in.

Lesh hasn't been responding very well. I touch his legs and he'll move, but his mouth is open and won't close at all. :( I'll give him a few hours before I make a definite decision.

Garcia has been doing better, but I'm still worried because his eyes are shut. However, I'm taking him to the vet as soon as I possibly can.
Stella Blue

Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:14 pm   

Keep Lesh's water warmer than usual (80-82 degrees) and it will help him fight a little. Take him to the vet in the morn too. If he doesn't make it til then, bring him anyway so they may be able to tell you what happened.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:53 am   

is it possible something changed in their tank that is affecting them? sounds very sudden and mysterious
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:41 am   

Was there a change in the water temp from the tank to the sink or sink to the tank? If so, could have caused them to go into shock.

As long as he's responding to a gentle tug on the legs, give him more time. Keep him in shallow water about 80F. Let us know what happens. Is the other one doing OK still?
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:16 pm   

When I woke up this morning there was no response from either of them. Poor things are gone. :(

My mother mentioned to me today that the water company was doing some maintenance and the level of chlorine in the water was very high yesterday, so I'm fairly certain that's what did it. However, I was unaware of this.

Again, I really appreciate everyone's help. It is unfortunate that Garcia and Lesh had to go so soon.
Stella Blue

Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:56 pm   

I'm really sorry to hear of your loss. :cry:
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Return to Urgent Care