Urgent Care :: New RES Owner questions?

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:30 pm   New RES Owner questions?

I'm a new RES owner. I've been reading up on all the information I can regarding owning RES turtles. There is one thing I am unsure about. How can you tell if your turtle's eyes are swollen? My turtle is active he bask regularly, swims regulary, and he eats regularly. The reason I am concerned is because when he sleeps his eyelids are not the color of his skin, they are white. Does this indicate that his eyes are swollen or is this normal? If they are swollen what can I do to help? Thank you.
chrysnyc

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:51 pm   

got a pic? when res close their eyes the envoloping skin is normally brighter.. my res has sort of a clear brown coverings over her eyes.
wut u can do if ur res has swollen eyes? check this site out, look under eye infections http://reslider.free.fr/sickness.html
i doubt he/she does tho, since he/she is performing her daily routines of basking, eating and swimming regularly
TrooperRES

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:21 pm   

here are some pics of a baby RES with swollen eyes...

http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=312
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:07 pm   

Well, actually I don't have any pictures because I just got him. Meauring his shell he's approximately 4" long. He doesn't keep his eyes closed a lot just when he's sleeping and like I said his behavior is normal otherwise. I recently purchased a water conditioner thinking maybe the chlorine in the water was affecting his eyes. Like I said I'm not really sure whether his eyes are swollen or if his eyes are normally like that when he sleeps. I'm just trying to confirm whether he's healthy or not. I'll probably follow some of the remedies for swollen eyes just to be safe. Thanks you.
chrysnyc

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:19 am   

My RES eyelids are a whitish color. It freaked me out a bit at first too but that's just the color they are. If they're only closed when he's sleeping, and he's not scratching at them then it's probably just what his eyelids look like.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:41 pm   

Thanks, I'll continue to watch him just to be sure, and I will try to feed him things with vitamin A to be safe. If the eyes look worse or he exibits any other bad signs, I will take further precautions.
chrysnyc

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:13 pm   

Feed foods high in beta carotene (carrots, pumpkin, red peppers, etc.). You might also rub a little plain cod liver oil on the lids once a day with a q-tip. If he has a vit. A deficiency, it should help.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:12 pm   

I started feeding him carrots today, and it's funny that you mention red peppers because I had one with my supper, and I was wondering if it was ok to feed Henry that. I was thinking of posting a picture, but unfortunately everytime I go near him while he has his eyes closed he opens them. Well, I'll continue watching him, and feeding him food with vitamin A. Thanks everyone for you help. I guess I'm just a worried new mommy. :)
chrysnyc

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:24 pm   

go ahead and take a pic of him with his eyes open. If they're swollen, it's still visible when his eyes are open.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:47 pm   

I'll take a pic, but I'm almost 100% sure is a vit. A deficiency. I've been reading other postings, and I found out that shedding is also an indication of a vit. A deficiency, and I noticed he's shedding too. I don't think it is a respitory problem because I haven't noticed him swimming funny or gasping for air and his activity level hasn't changed. I just got him about a week or two ago, and I've been feeding him mostly reptomin floating sticks until I read that I should be feeding him more veggies. I've been feeding him more veggies as of late. and I'm hoping I will notice a positive change.
chrysnyc

Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:35 am   

Good luck, and let us know how he's doing.
jenaero

Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:54 am   

Try also the cod liver oil on the eyelids that I suggested above for a few days. If it is a Vit A deficiency, you'll know it because the eyes will improve.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:05 am   

Too much shedding may be a symptom but keep in mind that turtles do shed from their shells and skin, so normal shedding is fine, a high temp. in the water will lead to too much shedding as well.
STRAYKINGFISHER

Post Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:36 am   

Just an update. Henry's (my turtle's) condition hasn't changed. His activity levels are good and he's swimming fine. I still haven't seen him gasping for air or anything. He is still shedding, and I think his eyes are swollen, but he doesn't keep them closed. I just started including carrots into his feeding regimen, and as soon as I find out where to buy cod liver oil I will try to apply it to his eyelids. This weekend I am going to borrow my sister-in-law's digital camera, and I will take some pictures of him for you guys to analyze. Thanks so much for you help. It's hard being a new mommy, but the rewards are priceless. :)
chrysnyc

Return to Urgent Care