Urgent Care :: my res ate rocks help

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:21 pm   

well fokes were looking at eraly after noon and 3 more rockes i went to the store and bought the big river rocks the big smooth ones it was a little spendy but he likes rock to dig in im not putting it in till i make sure i get the rest he poops out im hoping this meens he will be fine and continues to poop them out thanks all for your advise
Danielle :)
Owner of Stinky 5 and Foxy Cleopatra 4
djaaconn

Post Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:09 pm   

Great to hear that they are coming out without problems, let's keep our fingers crossed that your turtle passes them all. :D
STRAYKINGFISHER

Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:47 pm   

Well actually the reason why your turtle is eating rocks is because he is constapated.He needs to eat rocks so he can help digest his food.
Basically He is constapated!!!I hope that helps :wink: and I would still keep an eye out for him you said that he pooped out his first rock
thats a way for constapation rocks help digest!!!
buddys_my_turtle

Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:13 pm   

buddys_my_turtle wrote:Well actually the reason why your turtle is eating rocks is because he is constapated.He needs to eat rocks so he can help digest his food.
Basically He is constapated!!!I hope that helps :wink: and I would still keep an eye out for him you said that he pooped out his first rock
thats a way for constapation rocks help digest!!!

Nonononono...that's not why he's eating them, and it certainly is NOT required for digestion. You must be thinking of why birds eat whatever that stuff is they eat to aide in digestion.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:23 pm   

Actually, in the wild, turtles do occasionally ingest small pebbles and it is thought by some that the purpose is to aid in digestion. Wild turtles are, however, free to move about and are not captive in tanks with gravel/small pebbles on the bottom presenting a constant opportunity to eat them. Removing gravel/pebbles is just safer for the turt (and makes for easier cleaning).
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:35 pm   

omg our female turt has been forever eating gravel and i thought i read it somewhere it is ok hmmm and now i see her back side big it could be that he has too many undigested rocks? uh i thought she was pregnant hmmm
-=x*x=-
4 inches male and female RES, Turtle & Mrs.Turtle
msmelanie

Post Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:05 am   

djaaconn,
I bet I know what's up when you moved your turtles to the bigger tank. Did you rinse out the rocks at all? Cause if you didn't, and then put fresh water in the tank, he might have been attracted to the smell of the rocks. they could have still had the tasty smell of pooh and food.. :]
Adam
pkneeyahx
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:05 am   

msmelanie, she could have eggs or is getting fat. I do not know if ingested rocks/gravel can be seen without an x-ray. Remove the gravel and see if they are being expelled.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:14 pm   

What do you mean by a "big back side?"
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:58 pm   

she has gotten so round
-=x*x=-
4 inches male and female RES, Turtle & Mrs.Turtle
msmelanie

Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:22 pm   

Do you mean the shell has become more rounded? Can you post a pic to show what you mean by round?
marisa
Retired Mod

Previous

Return to Urgent Care