General Care Discussion :: please help!

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:21 pm   please help!

Hi everyone.
Ive had my turtle for about a month and a half now. She is very active and acts like a normal turtle. She eats regularly, basks and swims, nothing out of the ordinary. Although one of her eyes i noticed was puffy and closed. Ive been giving her the special turtle eye drops and her eye is now getting better. She can now open it. But she has this white bump on her head and i have no idea what it is, how it developed or how to get rid of it. She also has a weird looking thing under her mouth. She is in a decent size tank for her size right now. I have a filter for the tank and a water heater to keep the water warm. I also have water conditioner and turtle fix for bacteria infections. If anyone knows or has any ideas on what this is and how to treat it i would really appritiate the advice. I have the photos attached.
Attachments
20150702_223603-1.jpg
20150702_223452-1-2-1.jpg
20150702_223520-1.jpg
20150702_223623-1.jpg
xoSnookss

Post Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:49 am   Re: please help!

Not sure what it could be, bout I would try docking for a few days and apply some betadine and maybe neosporin on it.

What's the rest of her setup like? This could be related to poor water conditions.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:38 pm   Re: please help!

I clean the tank once a week. the water stays pretty clean with the filter I have now, but I did purchase a more powerful one that I will switch too when I run out of cartridges for the one I am currently using. I also manually clean the bottom of the tank from any left over food and poop every other day. at the beginning I will admit I wasn't as diligent with the cleaning as I am now, and im thinking it could of been formed from that, or that she could of had it when I purchased her because of the poor condition they were in from the store I got her from. I did have another turtle that passed away recently that I think was sick whehn I baught him as well. I don't know if anyone is familiar with pacific mall in markham Ontario. but that is where I got both my turtles and I think the one that died was sick when he was purchased therefore passed away about a month later even though I did everything I could to treat him. I am just very worried about my current turtle, I don't want her to get worse, but she hasn't shown any signs or symptoms of illness.
xoSnookss

Post Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:10 pm   Re: please help!

She should ideally have a 20 gallon tank, and if she does turn out to be female, up to 90-120 gallons as an adult. Sick hatchlings are pretty common, especially when they come from less-than reputable sellers. I would try the treatment I mentioned but take her to a vet if she doesn't get better.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:26 pm   Re: please help!

yah I have her in a 20 gallon tank until she gets bigger. im gunna try what you said and hopefully it gets better, when shes out of water it looks smaller and dried out and then when she goes back in the water it looks like how it is in the pictures. I really hope it goes away and is nothing serious.
xoSnookss

Return to General Care Discussion