General Care Discussion :: Quick Shell/Basking Question

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:22 am   Quick Shell/Basking Question

Can someone please tell me if my RES' shell looks normal? This is my first one and he RARELY basks and I am worried about his shell. When I take him out and dry him off his shell looks like this(see picture) is that normal?
Attachments
17373144_10100797502266193_847331680_o.jpg
Sangposht

Post Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:14 pm   Re: Quick Shell/Basking Question

Looks like overfeeding. The shell is rough, but should smooth out after shedding with a correct diet and some more basking. Do you have a UVB lamp for them?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:46 pm   Re: Quick Shell/Basking Question

Hi Steve(and anyone else with input), Thanks.
So I moved him to a quieter area and he does seem to be basking a lot more, but the whit espots are still there when he's dry. Also, the edges of his shell are flaking off, is this okay? I have been using a 50watt halogen spot light on dim setting but I did just get a UVB reptolamp, is this better?

His diet consist mainly of Reptomin(6 pellets a day) and kale about twice a week and freeze dreid shrimp once a week or so. Is this okay? Is there anything you suggest to improve his shell?

Thank you
Sangposht

Post Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:52 pm   Re: Quick Shell/Basking Question

Could be calcium/mineral deposits from hard water. When the turtle is out of the tank and dry, try rubbing a little white vinegar against the white areas to see if it helps. Does the plastron have anything similar?

What do you mean by flaking? Halogens are fine to use, but I would prefer a flood-style bulb so he can choose how warm he wants to get. I would not use kale or shrimp. Red leaf/Green leaf/Romaine would be better. Also try cucumber and carrots/ Some people also like to add some cuttlebone too.
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion