General Care Discussion :: my turtle has pink/reddish skin

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:57 am   my turtle has pink/reddish skin

Hello,
Lately, i have noticed that my res turtle has reddish or pink skin. I can see it only when I take him out of the water. He is eating and acting normal, but I am a bit concerned. I have a Fluval fx4 filter, 125-gallon tank, water temp 29 d Celsius and basking temp is 31-degree celcius.
I have one issue though, My water turns greenish in 15 days ( algae builds up in my canister), I make 100% water changes every 15 days.
Note: I have 2 sliders but only one of em has this problem.

Thanks a lot in advance guys!

Regards
Akash Valeja
Attachments
IMG_7978.JPG
akababan

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:42 am   Re: my turtle has pink/reddish skin

1) I recommend not doing 100% water changes 20-50% are better once a week , will give water time to cycle and stop those algae blooms. Tank by a window ?

2) Color could be food related some have color enhancers in them , have fish to you feeding ( flake food) that has color enhancers in them ?

3) Is he vomiting and or a reddish tint on plastron , swelling? While reddish tint between scutes on carapace is a sign of being septic , it should not be confused with light pink coloration that is common between scutes. If you think it is this , could be a blood problem , and can not be treated at home but a Herp Vet is needed.
litefoot

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:17 am   Re: my turtle has pink/reddish skin

See if you can wipe some of it off with a cotton ball.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:07 am   Re: my turtle has pink/reddish skin

Hello!
Thank you for the reply guys
> I am feeding tera reptomin sticks, fruits and lettuce
> I don't have Fish in my tank
> He is not vomiting, No swelling too.
> he eats silicone from the tank and sand too.

He is improving now as I have made a water change.

Thank and Regards
Akash
akababan

Post Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:19 am   Re: my turtle has pink/reddish skin

That's good , keep observing well. Sometimes when "heavy" skin shedding skin could be a little pink but more likely food related being you are giving fruits. (?) That should be very limited usage ! That's not a natural food uncounted in the wild. Please read this : http://www.redearslider.com/plants.html

Sand will not cause a blockage but I would trim ( carefully !! ) off any silicone hanging around to be safe.

You say (he) ? Picture can't see the claws . You have any of both showing the claws ? Getting at the size you will have problems IF both are males and in same tank !
litefoot

Post Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:19 pm   Re: my turtle has pink/reddish skin

I was thinking that it was irritation. I have seen my girls get it when the tank decides to go green on me at the most inopportune time and I can't get to them for a day or two. (murphy's law) They survive and I know what I am doing on the next Saturday morning. I just make sure I salt the tank a bit heavier than normal to help heal their skin.
Scooter (10") & B.C.(11") both female.
150 gal with 2 Pondmaster 1500s
soopermum62

Return to General Care Discussion