General Care Discussion :: Bump on face

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:24 am   Bump on face

As the title says, my res has a bump on its face. It has been around four months now. I went to the vet, but the guy only gave me antibiotics. He also told me that it might be a tumor, so cutting it out might make it come back aggressively. He isn't going to operate on my res unless the bump grows bigger. Honestly, I don't trust the vet.

The bump doesn't seem to have grown since last Saturday. It might have receded slightly (this might be wishful thinking though). It is white around the tip.

What should I do? Should I keep giving my res the antibiotics? Can I leave the bump and hope it will recede completely?
Attachments
IMAG1911~01.jpg
sharvyn

Post Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:07 am   Re: Bump on face

Don't trust !!! "I would see another vet" . One that actually treats turtles. Here's a few names if they don't , may know of one who does. https://www.veterinby.com/animal-clinic-mauritius/
We also have other's on forum from Mauritius too who may know of one.

A "more common" condition with turtles would be an ear abscess. Will not disappear on it own. Will need to be lanced , drained , disinfected and treated. That is by a vet that actually treats "turtles". Yes turtles have ears just covered by skin. Actually have three , the third ear canal is in the nose. See header at top of this page on health and or google turtle ear abscess for pictures and more help.

"Been 4 months" .... earache's are not fun to us or your turtle think about all the discomfort it's in. Also could lead to other problems.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:52 pm   Re: Bump on face

Yup, classic ear abscess. Simple procedure for an experienced vet... make sure the water is as clean as possible after treatment.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:29 am   Re: Bump on face

Most, if not all, vets around here deal only with cats and dogs. I am still trying. I hope I will find someone who can save this little one.

Thanks for the help to the both of you.
sharvyn

Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:06 pm   Re: Bump on face

Hello sharvyn, I am also from Mauritius :) I know how hard it is to find a vet for other animals. :(

I strongly advise you to call Vanilla Park for advise because they deal with a lot of reptiles. I'm sure they have herp vets around to keep the tortoises, crocs, etc, healthy. Or ask who you can see for your turtle.
I have also heard about a veterinary that treats numerous animals, but I am not sure if they are still open. Their contact is 57013873 or 57070166, they are in Albion.
My third and final option is to contact Om Lombard from Zoomania, he is very well known as an animal lover. You can go on the Zoomania page ( https://www.facebook.com/zoomania.mu/ ), they reply fast. You could ask him about vets for your turtle and explain your problem, he might be able to help.
PokePony

Return to General Care Discussion