General Care Discussion :: Turtle quacking?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:03 pm   Re: Turtle quacking?

the other day turtle was basking and i said "quack turtle quack" and turtle did.....then i tried to record it and found out that mr, turtle is not a gemini like i once thought, but a stubborn taurus who will not quack on demand.....(curses, foiled again....here i had hopes of going viral on youtube with "the amazing quacking turtle"....(haha!!)

i wonder if it is just being vocal back to me....(if you haven't figured it out by now, i might be about 1.5 to 2 standard deviations outside of the bell curve (keep in mind that serial killers are generally FIVE deviations from "normal"....whew!! i am ok.... : )

but i sing this song to him and i coo at him and i constantly interact with him and when i wake up in the morning, i immediately say "mr. turtle" and love to see his head just pop up instantaneously and it starts all over again.....when i sing to him, its funny....it is almost like he is mimicking me or trying to sing or something because his throat kind of pulses like a beat and it enlarges, then goes back to normal, then enlarges and goes back to normal.....i am facinated with this .... i knew they were rumoured to be interactive, but i never pictured it would be like this.....

does anyone else sing to their turttles? do they react? let me know....thanks!!
mr.turtle

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:48 pm   Re: Turtle quacking?

I sang to my son's turtle once. It was when he was still skittish, but was just starting to not immediately hide when I came by.

He was watching me, but you could tell he was ready to go hide. I tried singing. He seemed to calm and stuck his head much further out to check me out.

He's never talked back, though.
Tobi a RES born in 2012
1 dog, 1 teenager, 3 aquariums filled with fish, snails, shrimp and a bit of algae
ljapa

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:55 pm   Re: Turtle quacking?

I'd love to hear a turtle croak or quack. I've only watched turtles that sneezed (kinda funny, but the turtle was sick at the time).I'm always talking to my turtle. I encourage my mom to talk to her as well. whenever I go near the ATBA, I will raise my voice so that she will know that it's me and not dive off. she always turns her head in the direction of my voice. :)
FAREWELL DUMBORK
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=36799

follow my blog: dumbork.wordpress.com
youtube: pawii29

pictures and video
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=32931
dumbork14

Post Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:59 pm   Re: Turtle quacking?

My turtle quacks, too, when she's on land. When her head hits the side of her tank (for example), she making a quacking sound similar to a duck. I'm pretty sure turtles quack when they're angry or frustrated.
NotCatherine

Previous

Return to General Care Discussion