General Care Discussion :: Crayfish w/res

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:41 pm   

It does, a little bit. But a shrimp ain't a crayfish..lol. I'll keep an eye on them. In the year and a bit that I've had them, I've never actually seen them poop so I don't think that'd help me. I'd notice blood tho, or if they stopped eating.

Thanks a bunch!
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:51 am   Re: Crayfish w/res

jenaero wrote:I was at the pet store for plants and asked the fish guy about bottom feeders. He said plecos wouldn't eat poop or food, just algae. He mentioned crayfish and had me thinking it was a good idea. I figured as long as there was a hiding spot for him.

I put him in the tank about 20 min ago....he is no longer. I thought he'd stay out of their way. Ah well. Live and learn, eh?

I don't want to watch it so I'll just go down there in a half hour or so to make sure my res still have their eyes intact :( At least they'll get some calcium from all that shell right?

Crawfish carry a bacteria that can make RES and other water turtles sick. It causes a kind of shell rot. Look out for any pinkish color on their shells or skin, that's a symptom.
reptilegrrl

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:53 am   

Ah, Marisa beat me to it :) I should read the whole thread before responding ;)
I used to be a reptile expert. Now I'm just an old turtle lover.
reptilegrrl

Previous

Return to General Care Discussion