General Care Discussion :: They've arrived!!

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:12 pm   They've arrived!!

They're here, finally. Safe and sound. They seem to be in good health considering their previous environment. They're about 6 inches each, one a bit bigger than the other. One has beautiful black markings on the shell so they're easy to tell apart.

The 50gal is less than half full right now because they've never had more than 3 inches of water and I want to be sure of their mobility before I fill it up.

I'm having an unusually hard time sexing them. One has a short nub of a tail but I cannot tell if it was bitten off or if that's actually a female's tail. The other has a longer tail but not as long and thick as I've seen on most males. Both of them have fairly short claws. That's where the confusion is. I'd tend to think that if one or both were female that they'd be much larger at 8 and 10 years old. But at the same time, if they were males, wouldn't the claws be much longer? Unless they've been clipped and that's possible.

I'm pretty sure they are as old as I was told they are. Their beaks are jagged and worn.

Anyway, I'll formally introduce them with pics hopefully next week, but in the mean time, wish me luck with my new kids, Crash & Leland :D
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:18 pm   

Congrates happy they are there safe an sound :D
1 RES (baby) Tortuga
I am Tortuga's slave :)
Az^FolkSinger

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:27 pm   

They could be females that have been malnourished their whole lives. That could have stunted their growth.

Poor things. Goodluck to them in their new life!
I used to be a reptile expert. Now I'm just an old turtle lover.
reptilegrrl

Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:32 am   

They've been in a 15gal tank and fed only reptomin up til now.

I just got up and turned all the lights on and they ate the lettuce that I left in there last night!!!
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:12 am   

Congrats! Good Luck!!
8 RES: Tampa, Bay, Exclamation (Male R.I.P. 2-10-07), Question-mark, Tiny Tim, Pan Handle (Male), Squirt, & Crush.

KI4JAV

www.notyourdaddysguncases.com
TinySlider2

Return to General Care Discussion