General Care Discussion :: What to do....

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:39 pm   What to do....

I was just at the pet store and the guy that works there told me he has a friend that has a box turtle he wants to get rid of. I did tell him to call me if anything like that happened but that was before my new arrivals yesterday. I'm not going to take any more aquatics right now because I've got my hands full with those, but I do have room/time for another boxie.

My husband is tolerating what we already have. He's one of those people that won't admit he loves them, but still seems interested enough. First thing he did when he got home from work last night was go downstairs to see the new guys and ask what I named them.

He's going away for 2 weeks on Monday so I have 2 options. Sneak the boxie in when he's gone and once it's in the house I know he won't tell me to get rid of it. Or not take it and realize I can't save them all.

Just wondering what you all would do.

Jen
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:43 pm   

i would take him in, since you did move into a house, right? you should have a lot of room....boxies are awesome IMO, so i would most definatly sneak him in.
Elliott
ellman605

Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:53 pm   

I'd tell him about the boxie before he goes. Depending on his reaction (tell the story will emotion), go from there.

How big is the turtle? Does the turtle have to be placed immediately? If so, you could always take the turtle, give him an interim home, and keep looking for a good home for him.

You could also help the person who wants to give him up by posting on some forums. There are experienced people on some of the other forums who maybe would know of someone, or who would maybe even take him.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:59 am   

Take the boxie in. Its true that you cant save them all but this one, I think you can. Its just one more.

Either that or help that person find the boxie a good home like Marisa suggested. Either way, your saving him...:)
"See the turtle of enormous girth,
On his shell he holds the Earth,
His thought is slow but always kind;
He holds us all within his mind."
--The Dark Tower
butterfly

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:10 am   

Thanks guys :-) I'll let you know what happens
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:29 pm   

I think you should name the boxie after your husband ;)
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:10 pm   

lol..yeah, he'll appreciate that :lol:
jenaero

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:40 pm   

I can't believe this. I mentioned it to him and he went for it!!! I'm gonna call the pet store first thing tomorrow :-D :-D

They don't know what kind of box turtle it is but I guess we'll see. Man, I have to think of yet another name....
jenaero

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:42 pm   

name him.....cat...lol, cat and dog, the turtles :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Elliott
ellman605

Return to General Care Discussion