General Care Discussion :: Turtles swimming normally, but not eating. should I worry?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:16 am   Turtles swimming normally, but not eating. should I worry?

I have two RES turtles, both about 2.5 inches in shell length. They are both males. I currently have heater that is keeping the water temperature at about 76F, with a basking lamp keeping the basking dock at approx 84F. There is also a reptiglo 5.0 bulb on a second lamp aimed at the same basking dock

I have noticed that both of them are not eating their food. I have been feeding them pellets normally, and I've tried introducing red-leaf lettuce as well. They have left the food untouched floating in the tank (I have kept count of how many items of food I've given them). As well, I tried putting them into a separate container to feed and that did not seem to work either. I haven't noticed poop from them in the past few days (or atleast, not something I recognize as being their poops)

Asides from the lack of eating, they are the same as usual. Swimming around like normal. Eyes are fine, shells are fine and hard, no visible bumps or red rash or anything.

The only change that I can think of recently is that I have placed one of those calcium conditioner blocks shaped as a turtle into the tank to give them additional nutrients. I doubt that dissolving block is enough to keep the turtles fed

Should I be worried? are there any ways to force feed them?

Thanks all!
codered_59

Post Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:35 pm   Re: Turtles swimming normally, but not eating. should I worr

Though the block is probably not the issue, I would not bother with it and take out whatever is left. At 2.5", it's not possible to visually sex your RES.

As for not eating, how long has it been? How about take one out and feed the other normally while in the tank. Do they still respond to treats?
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion