General Care Discussion :: water surface oil-like slick or film

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:38 pm   water surface oil-like slick or film

Hi guys,

I'm totally baffled as to what it is and what to do about it???

On the water's surface of my 20gal long tank there is a very thin oil-like slick or film. Every other day or so I lay a paper towel on top of the water surface and that takes away the oil-like spots film.

The whole tank was put together about 2 or 3 weeks ago, and it has a brand new MarineLand C220 filter rated for 55gallon tanks.

all of the water's chemistry test are good with pH 7.7 Amonia 0.5 Nitrite 0.05 Nitrate 5

I can't possibly think of what could be producing it, but I'd sure like to stop it.

any ideas?
tjurhs

Post Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:29 am   Re: water surface oil-like slick or film

It happens on my tank as well. Get an aerator. It'll clear it right up.
1 F RES 9" (Kingler)
1 F Belize Slider 7" (Agamemnon)
My Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/condorboy1/videos
Linus

Post Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:23 am   Re: water surface oil-like slick or film

Common problem in a lot of tanks. It's bio matter from either food or waste, try raising the output of the filter so it moves the water surface.
devilduck

Post Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:28 am   Re: water surface oil-like slick or film

{ aaah, this post happened immeadiately after the duck's post, so there is overlap in the posts and I think he answered my questions }

when I google "fish tank aerator" I get lots of info and different types. Given that there is no livestock in the tank (other than an occasional minnow awaiting his turn to join my RES at the dinner table) I don't really think I need water aeration. So is it just for the bubbles breaking the surface tension that you recommend an aerator?

I do know that if I point my cannister filter's output stream so that it ripples the water suface then the oily/film (or whatever it is) doesn't form. This is a ban-aid, and doesn't answer what it is? I don't want whatever it is to chemically harm my RES!!!
tjurhs

Post Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:32 am   Re: water surface oil-like slick or film

devilduck wrote:Common problem in a lot of tanks. It's bio matter from either food or waste, try raising the output of the filter so it moves the water surface.

So it's not harming Thor, correct?
tjurhs

Post Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:53 pm   Re: water surface oil-like slick or film

reporting back: I read on the "PlantedTank" form that the "slick" is a really protien film created by uneaten food, poop, etc...

it will not harm a RES.

the easiest way to make it go away is to have something consistently break the water surface tension, like point the water outlet from your filter to break or ripple the water surface. Apparently when you do that the film can't form. That's a band-aid that also leads to those protiens getting into the inlet water source of your filter.
tjurhs

Post Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:21 pm   Re: water surface oil-like slick or film

Exactly, get an aerator.
1 F RES 9" (Kingler)
1 F Belize Slider 7" (Agamemnon)
My Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/condorboy1/videos
Linus

Post Posted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:55 am   Re: water surface oil-like slick or film

A power head and or circulation pump can also be used.
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:49 pm   Re: water surface oil-like slick or film

I just pointed the water outlet from my filter upwards to break/ripple the water surface. no more oil slicks :)
tjurhs

Post Posted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:55 pm   Re: water surface oil-like slick or film

In my 300 I did both. Circulation pump and Fx pointed up. Never had a problem. Good to here you got it under control.Its a real common problem in turtle keeping.
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:09 pm   Re: water surface oil-like slick or film

Be careful with the outlet... my RES likes to attack it and nearly pointed the water flow out of the tank on multiple occasions.
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion