General Care Discussion :: Nail Trimmings

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:51 pm   Nail Trimmings

Hey!! I'm new to the care of turtles and I was wondering if I should have her nails trimmed. They seem to be very long and sharp which I know could be a regular thing for them however her nails seem to be affecting the way she walks and have grown a lot since I got her two months ago. I was not going to attempt to cut her nails myself but I'm wondering if I should book a vet appointment for her or if her nails don't actually need to be cut and I'm just paranoid. Thanks in advance for the input!!
Mabel20

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:14 pm   Re: Nail Trimmings

Nope, never. If the nails are that long then you probably have a boy. How much walking (and where) do you let your turtle do?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:45 am   Re: Nail Trimmings

My turtle doesn't do much walking but I just let her walk around my room while I clean the tank out.
Mabel20

Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:14 am   Re: Nail Trimmings

Are you sure you have a female?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:16 pm   Re: Nail Trimmings

Definitely sure I have a female. I more familiar with rabbit nails and dog nails so I've only ever seen them short. I guess I'm just not used to seeing nails as long as hers.
Mabel20

Post Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 6:41 am   Re: Nail Trimmings

If they are not growing normally, then they should be looked at but its usually not a problem.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 1:23 am   Re: Nail Trimmings

Penelope's rear nails get really long and sharp. She does her own 'nail filing' when she roams on the patio (she has grass to play on, but always hits the cement).
Is your turtle walking on carpet? If yes, could it be that they are just getting snagged? If its a smooth floor then that wipes out that theory.

I will admit that I did have the vet trim Penelope's nails a few times (filed, not cut). A while ago Penelope was very ill and I had to give her meds twice a day for months. My palms were shredded, so I just had to get those claws dulled down (the rear ones).

If you think the nails are causing a problem then, like you mentioned at first, take her to the vet.
"I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights"
~ "Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories" by Dr. Seuss ~
penelope

Post Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:50 am   Re: Nail Trimmings

I'm one who believes Never cut ! ...dulling down is ok as when Penelope goes to the spa and may help you. For Piggley male RES with long claws I just use his towel to hold him. He's come to like the towel , feel's more comfortable. I use it when he's in my lap watching TV but normally falls asleep. Does he just like the towel or dislikes the show we watch?
litefoot

Post Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:29 am   Re: Nail Trimmings

They're usually calm when being gently held but what you have to restrain them a bit -- for meds, cleaning, or examination -- they can scratch and struggle a lot. Females are particularly strong because of those huge rear legs... I had huge scratches all over my wrists when my RES was dry docked for a week.
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion