General Care Discussion :: my turtle has pink/reddish skin

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:57 am   my turtle has pink/reddish skin

Hello,
Lately, i have noticed that my res turtle has reddish or pink skin. I can see it only when I take him out of the water. He is eating and acting normal, but I am a bit concerned. I have a Fluval fx4 filter, 125-gallon tank, water temp 29 d Celsius and basking temp is 31-degree celcius.
I have one issue though, My water turns greenish in 15 days ( algae builds up in my canister), I make 100% water changes every 15 days.
Note: I have 2 sliders but only one of em has this problem.

Thanks a lot in advance guys!

Regards
Akash Valeja
Attachments
IMG_7978.JPG
akababan

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:42 am   Re: my turtle has pink/reddish skin

1) I recommend not doing 100% water changes 20-50% are better once a week , will give water time to cycle and stop those algae blooms. Tank by a window ?

2) Color could be food related some have color enhancers in them , have fish to you feeding ( flake food) that has color enhancers in them ?

3) Is he vomiting and or a reddish tint on plastron , swelling? While reddish tint between scutes on carapace is a sign of being septic , it should not be confused with light pink coloration that is common between scutes. If you think it is this , could be a blood problem , and can not be treated at home but a Herp Vet is needed.
litefoot

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:17 am   Re: my turtle has pink/reddish skin

See if you can wipe some of it off with a cotton ball.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:07 am   Re: my turtle has pink/reddish skin

Hello!
Thank you for the reply guys
> I am feeding tera reptomin sticks, fruits and lettuce
> I don't have Fish in my tank
> He is not vomiting, No swelling too.
> he eats silicone from the tank and sand too.

He is improving now as I have made a water change.

Thank and Regards
Akash
akababan

Post Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:19 am   Re: my turtle has pink/reddish skin

That's good , keep observing well. Sometimes when "heavy" skin shedding skin could be a little pink but more likely food related being you are giving fruits. (?) That should be very limited usage ! That's not a natural food uncounted in the wild. Please read this : http://www.redearslider.com/plants.html

Sand will not cause a blockage but I would trim ( carefully !! ) off any silicone hanging around to be safe.

You say (he) ? Picture can't see the claws . You have any of both showing the claws ? Getting at the size you will have problems IF both are males and in same tank !
litefoot

Post Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:19 pm   Re: my turtle has pink/reddish skin

I was thinking that it was irritation. I have seen my girls get it when the tank decides to go green on me at the most inopportune time and I can't get to them for a day or two. (murphy's law) They survive and I know what I am doing on the next Saturday morning. I just make sure I salt the tank a bit heavier than normal to help heal their skin.
Scooter (10") & B.C.(11") both female.
150 gal with 2 Pondmaster 1500s
soopermum62

Post Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:47 am   Re: my turtle has pink/reddish skin

This is why I would try to wipe it off. It could be microbial staining or bacteria (sometimes seen in a pool or toilet).
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:12 pm   Re: my turtle has pink/reddish skin

Understood. I have been bitten by mine trying to something of the like. Not taking that chance again. (Squirt almost took off all skin & flesh to joint bone on my pinkie) Which is why I clean the tank, salt tank, and monitor the skin.
soopermum62

Post Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:27 pm   Re: my turtle has pink/reddish skin

How are you holding her? If I hold my RES near the tail, I can avoid her huge feet and have a hand free to do checks and wipe downs.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:37 am   Re: my turtle has pink/reddish skin

She got the pinkie on my right hand as I was checking her carapace-she wasn't shedding scutes properly. The left was holding her still. I had her sitting on a table. She is more Hamburger shaped-- for the lack of a better term -- for the longest time we thought she was a male because she didn't grow like the other 3 females. In fact, she is still the smallest of our 4 turtles. She did that damage about 5 or 6 years ago-- before she is the size she is now. None of our girls are under 9 inches and she has the worst attitude. If she did that now she WOULD take it to the bone and then some without trying.
soopermum62

Post Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:16 am   Re: my turtle has pink/reddish skin

Before this turns out to be an out right high jacking of Akash's original post , can a new topic or post be made about biting and the girls. Akash is new to forum and is asking for guidance and help about one of his two turtles. His post and topic.
Also helps any other new member's or visitors following the original post not changing the subject // when one is not original poster. For new pet owners or just a member reading this could be confusing trying to follow another topic within a topic from another. Even got another member caught up in the other topic , so you see how things can affect original post. This is Akash's post and topic he's asking for help. Please make new topic.
I would ask other's the same if it was your post / topic ! Thank You .

Akash , hope you still out there !
litefoot

Post Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:40 am   Re: my turtle has pink/reddish skin

Hey Guys,
I am, definitely @ lifefoot
I feed em papaya very often. will change that habit now! and ill trim the silicone too.
I don't really know which of my res is male or female, I just thought he (Nawab) is a male because he does the claw dance in my other res's face. I am planning to build a new tank for them ( probably 500 -1000 g) by the next year, so hope even if both are males they won't fight.

I will definitely try to wipe so of it with a cotton bud and put an update

Thank you so much for all the help guys!

Regards
Akash
akababan

Post Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:51 am   Re: my turtle has pink/reddish skin

Good thank you , been since 19th last post !

Can you post any pictures of their claws to tell? If both at the size in other photo should be able to tell. Short even claws is female then long uneven claws male in the front.

May want to wait on building anything until sex known for sure. One day you may need to separate them ! Even a 1000 gallon they will mate then you have to deal with up to 20 babies ! Or Female will "Hurt" male if she does not want to mate ! Also if two male's and have lots of hiding spots they could always fight . Hard enough with two to care for you may want to rethink 22 !

May want to backoff some of the papaya read this : http://redearslider.com/plants.html

Just a note ; to check a turtle always better out the water and when totally dry to check them. Will show all better if problems.
litefoot

Return to General Care Discussion