General Care Discussion :: Im Worried.. Help?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:06 pm   Im Worried.. Help?

My 9 year old red ear slider Agate has been on her basking dock for days now. She only eats in the water, and she wont come down to feed. Even when I bring her down and put food in front of her she turns and goes back to basking. Is she okay? How long can she go without feeding before I should worry? Her scutes look fine...

Anyway, any tips you guys can give will be greatly appreciated. I just want my baby to be happy and healthy. <3

:msgreen:
Agate The Turtle<3
AgateTheTurtle

Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:18 am   Re: Im Worried.. Help?

Adult turtles can go for a bit more than a week without eating. Is there anything unusual besides that? Sneezing, gasping for air, bubbles... You might wanna check if she hurt herself somewhere, like a cut or something.
And was there any changes in her environment lately ?

There is always a limit to the help online forums can give you. Depending on the situation you might want to take her to the vet.
PokePony

Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:08 pm   Re: Im Worried.. Help?

rambologic

Post Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:02 am   Re: Im Worried.. Help?

Eating in water is normal. What are you feeding her? Whens the last time you changed things up? Have you measured the basking and water temps? Does she stay up there after the light goes off?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:38 am   Re: Im Worried.. Help?

Turtle sticks of different kinds. She stays all the time, light or no light. I checked for eggs on back and front legs, felt bump on front ones. I put her on her bed and she was hissing alot. I put her in the water and she freaked out. Put her back on her basking rock and she relaxed, it sounded like she was panting. Making similar sounds to a human taking deep breaths to calm down. I have never heard her do that. Alert, while typing this she has splashed back down. Checking on her now. Will keep you posted.
Agate The Turtle<3
AgateTheTurtle

Post Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:37 am   Re: Im Worried.. Help?

She might not be feeling well, what are the water and basking temperatures?
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion